PDA

View Full Version : What am i doing wrong

msantos
06-17-2007, 05:35 AM
need help in figuring out how to create simple signs for family names. my material size in 10 x 3.5 inches. i create and insert the text using part wizard, center the text on my material, create my toolpath and save my art work and toolpath.

all appears fine until i start cutting and the name is off about 2-3 inches in the positive x.

what is going on.....and how do i correct this...have orders to get out and do not want to do them manually anymore.

thanks

fleinbach
06-17-2007, 06:25 AM
Martin,

You said you centered yout text on your material. Did you check to make sure the bottom left corner of your 10 X 3.5 sign is postioned on the 0,0 grid marks in Part Wizard?

msantos
06-17-2007, 05:45 PM
yes, i did this many times but still cuts of center.

phil_o
06-18-2007, 07:38 AM
When I do plaques like this I work from center on the machine as well as on the drawing. I use the center as the origin on the drawing, find the center of the material and locate the cutter over the center. Then I select the offset in 2D option on the Part file execute fill in sheet. This option makes the Shopbot start from it's current location rather than starting from 0,0.
I do this frequently so I used the Shopbot with a 60 degree V-Bit to cut a very shallow grid into the spoilboard. The grid is in 3" squares. This makes it fairly simple to line up the cutter with the center of the workpiece.

fleinbach
06-18-2007, 08:05 AM
Martin,

How are you setting your 0,0 postion? Do you use prox switches or manuely set them?

bleeth
06-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Martin: Are you sure that the corner of your material is at 0,0 on the bot? With material that small I have a picture of you using "plywood calmps" that means your material is off the end of the bot by the width of the clamp.

msantos
06-19-2007, 05:42 AM
sorry took long to reply, different time zone.

i like to work from the bottom left so that's where i set my 0,0. my prox switches set me up at xy home and yes i have a template that uses a fien to hold down work material...template is off the 0,0 but material is on 0,0.

just finished cutting a sample sign using vcarve pro to do a pocket cut. the pocket was off about .5 inches on the y and z. do i have to take into account the off set after the prox switches finish their c3 run?

i will keep on trying to get it right and maybe one day i will graduate from novice to shopbot master...

martin

ed_lang
06-19-2007, 08:39 AM
Martin,
There should not be an offset from 0,0 if using a prox switch.

Install a V bit and remove the dust shoe. Run a C3 and see how much away from 0,0 physical, you are. If it is not exact. Run the setup routine and get the machine to zero in both X and Y exactly right.

The setup routine is located in the control software under "tools" and then "setup"

Let us know how it goes.
ed