PDA

View Full Version : Font viewer

bob_s
09-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Can someone suggest a font viewer program that will help me use the border and symbol True Type fonts. I want to be able to see what they will create, an "A" is a daisy and an "m" is a left corner scroll border, etc. The graphics are great, but I am going slightly mad trying to use them. The programs and websites I have found so far don't give a clear a= b= c= type of chart. I guess I could type it all out in Word, but I am sure there is a better way
Thanks
Bob

mims
09-15-2009, 06:46 PM
I like FontXplorer.. you can view as many fonts at once as you want using whatever text you want. Also, whatever fonts you are currently looking at in Fontxplorer will be available to programs to use, so long as FontXplorer is open. I do this alot because I don't like to keep 1,000 fonts loaded in the Windows fonts directory at all times. If you double click on the individual font, it brings up a character map which tells you which key (or alt-combination) is used for that letter/symbol.

bob_s
09-16-2009, 07:54 AM
Eric
thanks - FontXplorer works great - that is exactly what I needed. And it's free, doesn't get any better than that!

Bob

Mayo
09-25-2009, 01:18 AM
Could you provide a link for FontXplorer please?
When I searched for it I got one program that was for Mac only, then I got another program with a different spelling - Font Explorer - and it was made by linotype. When I installed this one it seemed like it only lets you look through a database of their available fonts - not the fonts on your system.

mims
09-25-2009, 10:20 AM
http://www.moonsoftware.com/fxplorer.asp

bob_s
09-25-2009, 12:00 PM
Now that I am using it I found that you can type a string of type to show up as your "sample" and it will save several of your previous strings. Because some of the particular characters are so different and may be hard to cut I find this a real time saver when i am looking for a font

donchapman
09-26-2009, 08:24 AM
Microsoft Office Word automatically imports all TrueType fonts that are on your computer and provides a preview of whatever text you enter.

Simply type your text, highlight it, click on "Format" and then "Font" and all the fonts on your computer are there for you to scroll through and get an instant preview.

I often us it to find a font that I don't know the name of. I'll type a distinctive character and then quickly scroll through the font preview until I get a match.