PDA

View Full Version : Need Advise Please

metalmaker
06-09-2008, 05:54 PM
I have been asked by a HOA to replace vandalized letters on the entrance signs. They had plastic formed letters before. My question is what type of material would be good to use; acrylic,extira or other suggestions? Also these will be mounted on granite, the previous letters were silicone mounted, will this be acceptable again without drilling for studs into the granite? As you can tell, I'm not a sign guy! any help would be appreciated. Dan

thecustomsignshop
06-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Honestly, I would consider ordering the plastic letters again, unless they are custom. Keep it simple.

Try http://www.signletters.com/

Gemini may have been the originial manufacturer, you never know.. They are well known in the industry.

Otherwise, HDU (Sign Foam or Precision Board) would be simple enough to use as long as they do not have to be structural in nature. Does not sound like it...

Hard part - matching the finish of a plastic letter.

metalmaker
06-10-2008, 11:22 AM
Hey Jim, Thanks for the response. You are right, the originals were Gemini. Great idea to use these again. I'll look into ordering some, that way I won't have a bunch of material left over that I probably will not use for a long time. Thanks again, Dan.

thecustomsignshop
06-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Not a problem

jbworden
06-13-2008, 05:05 PM
I've got exactly the same problem but Gemini won't work for us. This HOA had Gemini letters stud mounted on a low brick monument. The local morons actually used tools to break the letters and pry them off the wall (it's only 3 feet high.) The only thing they left was the studs and letter shards. I'm looking for some sort of solid letters that I can epoxy directly to the brick surface and seal arounf the edges so the little vandals can't get a prybar in behind them.

I know they will probably still beat them up but maybe if this fails I'll mold the next set out of C4.

chodges
06-13-2008, 06:44 PM
You might want to try Matthews International at http://www.MatthewsBronze.net.

They make sign letters out of metals - like cast and waterjet-cut lettering, that is thick enough to be really tough (and expensive).

harryball
06-13-2008, 07:50 PM
If you have power at the sign, try a buried pressure plate / weight sensor around the sign with an airhorn in a housing. I saw this done once, kept the morons away from the sign or at least alerted everyone to get the paint ball guns and open fire.

/RB

metalmaker
06-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Great one!

jamesgilliam
06-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Paint ball guns? 12 guage with rock salt would be better.

cabnet636
06-19-2008, 05:51 PM
saw a sign on the back of a liquior store in the 70's that said " four of seven nights there's a man with a shotgun behind this door, you pick which night"!! jim

harryball
06-20-2008, 03:49 AM
"Paint ball guns? 12 guage with rock salt would be better."

Yeah... but then you'd run the risk of damaging the sign. ;-)

/RB

jhicks
06-20-2008, 10:15 AM
If the goal is to supply a "vandal proof" set of letters, GOOD LUCK. if they want it, they will get it. We thought color core was the right answer for a section 8 housing/apartment complex.
Gangs liked to grafitti the area. Good news is nothing sticks to color core so it could be washed off. Excellent until they determined it could be burned and melted so thats what they did. it took them a year to figure tha out and I should thank them for the replacement order, I guess.
If we can make it, cut it, install/fasten and finish it, motivated folks can figure out how to tear it apart or deface it.

thecustomsignshop
06-20-2008, 01:45 PM
can't win....

jbworden
06-20-2008, 06:33 PM
"Nothing is foolproof to the truly determined fool." Mark Twain

I don't think I really want to try making it morom proof. Not enough time and not nearly enough money.

Hmmm... Pressure plate, rock salt, C4... I may be coming up with an idea. :-) Would that be an IMD (Improvised Moron Deterrent)?

ljdm
06-20-2008, 06:44 PM
You can only give it your best shot. If the Gods determine that you need the return business, they will make a way for the vandals to undo your hard work. At least your conscience is clear, knowing you did your best to try to outthink the little bas!*ar#s

myxpykalix
06-20-2008, 08:52 PM
one word....beartrap....another word...minefield!

HarryBall once said i had had a knack for "overkill" on a project, I guess it shows. lol