PDA

View Full Version : Yiiiippppeee Shopboters

joe
07-16-2008, 10:21 PM
Yiiippppee!

The workshop is now full and were getting all set up. The sponsors are sending neat stuff for everyone to experiment with. Our good friends at Sculpt Nouveau sent packages containing sculpting solutions, instructions and samples for each person.

I'll have boxes ready so everyone can take their projects home. There will be eight to ten fairly complex sign projects to work on. Hopefuly they will be completed and useable for sales!
Samples of HDU, texturing materials, epoxy, and primers are also being supplied thanks to Coastal Enterprises.

We're fortunate to have local Shopboters joining in with support. Doug Strickland, Dennis Sapp, Gary Beckwith who will be assisting if anyone gets stumped.

Attendees:
Leon Stovall Satellite Beach, Fl.
Neville Stewart Austin, Tx.
Ken Zey Rogers, Ark.
Dave Sherby Crystal Falls, MI
Pat Fulghum Boise, Idaho
Bruce Higgins Gig Harbor, Wa.

A very impressive group from coast to coast.

Those interested in refining their 3D skills, our resident expert, Gary Beckwith, will conduct after dinner classes each evening. These could go well into the night.

We’ll be keeping everyone updated during the workshop. If anyone has a subject or question to be covered, let us know.

Joe
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

applik
07-16-2008, 11:23 PM
Dang, I wish we weren't so far away. I'd luv to gain some sign building knowledge. That would be way too cool. Oh well, have fun.
Shari

brucehiggins
07-17-2008, 12:26 AM
Anyone interested in sharing a room and/or a rental car? Pm me at bruce dot higgins at gmail dot com
Joe, exterior gold leaf if there is time. I am looking forward to it - ready to dig in.
Bruce

joe
07-17-2008, 08:10 AM
Thanks Shari, Your welcome to come by anytime.

Bruce, Although I'm not doing gold as a project item this year but I can take you aside for a personal session. We'll be doing a Coat of Arms so perhaps you could part of that with gold.

billp
07-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Joe,(or anyone with experience on this issue),
A quick gold leaf question for a project I will be doing sometime in the Fall; can gold leaf be exposed to salt water ( i.e as on a boat) without damaging it? OR does it need to be clear coated? ( which everyone always tells me is a baaaaad thing to do with real gold leaf...).

pfulghum
07-18-2008, 12:29 AM
Can't wait!

-- Pat

joe
07-18-2008, 07:49 AM
Bill,

It’s true, unprotected gold is much brighter but sometimes that’s not realistic. Gold on motorcycles and helmets, fire trucks, wagons, etc. need to be clear coated.

Now to the subject of salt water. Your gold will last years longer if you brush on a thin coat of automotive clear. This will protect from the saltwater. I haven’t found a water base paint useable for this use.

Still, gold is much brighter in it’s natural state but sometimes that's not very effecient.

Joe
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

billp
07-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Joe,
Thanks for the info. (Now I have to finish building the boat...).