PDA

View Full Version : Sculpt Nouveau Primer

joe
07-03-2008, 08:56 PM
One of our group, Jimmy, sent me a 3D HDU of the Last Supper. This is one of the excellent files for sale by Jame Booth. Jimmy knew I taught the Sculpt Nouveau techniques, so that's how it came about..

Let me say first, Sculpt Nouveau is a safe water based paint that's laced with metal: Copper, Iron, Brass, Peuter, Bronze, etc.

Bas-Relief pieces like this are always subject to loss of detail and looking FLAT. Jimmy did a good job of pumping this one up in depth.

I started out painting three coats of Bronze. You can see how flat it looks.

Each coat dired quickly with the heat near 100 degrees.

I think you can see how the metal coating reflects giving highlights. However, I could have used any metalic paint if that was all I wanted. Another quality to this product is how perminent it is. When you end up with some on your clothes, and after many washes, you'll be convinced.

But the nice metal look isn't what I was after.

I set the panel out in the sun for about thirty minutes and here's what we got. Now it's time to get serious with finishing.

There aren't any limits. This product will accept many techniques. I used a darkening solution on the backgound and below the table. To bring out the highlights on the apostles faces,clothes and hair, I used a small pneumatic buffer. But that wasn't quiet enoug so I applied some gilding wax and polished it off.

This can be a relative quick process. It took less than two hours. I don't know why more people aren't using this product. I'll be pushing this technique in the workshop because it can bring in money, and's lots of fun too.

O, I forgot. If you make a mistake somewhere along the line. There's No problem. Just apply another coat and start over. You just can't fail with this stuff.

Hope you lik it, Jimmy

Joe
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

jimmya
07-03-2008, 09:39 PM
Joe
I am absolutely speechless, that is with out question a master piece. I sure wish I had your talent Joe.
Jimmy

joe
07-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks Jimmy,

Geeeeees, I left out the most important part of the process. Geeeeees. The transformation from bronze to verge green was indused by my misting the surface with an acid solution sold as "Ligh Green Patina" Geeees,

butch
07-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Joe
Thanks! I have been looking at this process, but this really answered lots of questions.
Once again thanks for your posts.

Butch

jamesb
07-04-2008, 09:02 AM
Joe, great job on the finish and explanation, thanks for the plug too! Last Supper model is available for purchase here if anyone is interested: http://www.vectorart3d.com/store/index.cfm?q=supper

James

joewino
07-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Thanks Joe. Great process. I just received an order for a faux bronze plaque and your process sounds just like what I need.

The next time I see you I'll share the profits with you.

joe
07-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Thanks Raymond,

There are some little tricks here and there. You should come to my Workshop so I could quickly get your up to speed.

One suggestion is to use the texturing feature in Artcam for the background.

Woops I can't tell you anymore, your in your own now!

Joe
www.normansignco.com./htm (http://www.normansignco.com./htm)

joewino
07-05-2008, 12:42 PM
So...that's how it is. No money, no information. I guess I'll have to start charging you for those phone calls where you take up my time griping about everything.

No, not really...you can still call and vent, just like always, and I won't even charge you. Just my heart of gold I guess.

joe
07-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Ok, Ok..

Here's a little hint. I heard of a fellow up in British Colombia who was doing this process but didn't follow the insturctions. After coating out his panel, with too much silver, he squirted on the acid insted of misting it. It started to smoke. So he squirted even more and it caught on fire. Next the whole thing exploded and blew out the back end of his shop.

That was the bad news, the good news is he's back to work and his vision is getting better every day. I can't tell you his name though.

Let me know if you need any other technical assistance. Even better why don't you send this job my way and I'll give you some credit.

joewino
07-06-2008, 02:37 PM
"I can't tell you his name though." Hmmm...I wonder why?

joe
07-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Ok Professor Chapman, you caught me red handed. I made it all up.

Sculpt N. is about as safe process as painting with house paint.

Joe
www.normansignco.com./workshop.htm (http://www.normansignco.com./workshop.htm)

joewino
07-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Shame.Shame.Shame.

The next time we're together, remind me to not stand very close to you, just in case the lightning comes to remind you of your tendency to "stretch the truth".

Are you sure you are actually even having a workshop?

joe
07-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Raymond, you remember how exiced I was about getting to go to Roswell for Independance day. And how it would be topped off with visit to Carlsbad Caverns.

I ended up routing a big, complex rush job, a got to have it before July 4th sign. That would put me behind a full day but OK, since I'm a nice guy, I can ride all night July 3, an make it just in time.

Hurray, we finished the sign and called the client for them to pick up. They appologised, saying the super-structure wasn't ready and it would be another week before the could pick it up.

I was so bummmed out. No vacation.

Joe
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

Forum Admin
07-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Great writeup but now wandering a bit off-topic. Thread closed.