PDA

View Full Version : V Carving fonts

bud_olsen
05-19-2005, 09:35 PM
I have yet to find any fonts that you can V carve and look good when it is done. I have tried different bits 60 and 90 degree from 1/4" to 1 1/2". I also have tried to cut out letters and numbers and I am not happy with the way they look!

Bud

gerald_d
05-20-2005, 01:00 AM
Bud, I can't figure out what it is that you are wanting to discuss? If you want a second opinion on your results then you probably will have to show us some pictures.

t_fiddler
05-20-2005, 02:06 AM
Tell me if this is what your looking for.

This was cut in Cedar with a 60 degree bit
E-mail me and I will be happy to tell you what I've learned

gerald_d
05-20-2005, 02:18 AM
I have a suspicion that Bud is cutting the outline of letters with a V-cutter at a fixed depth. That he hasn't discovered true V-Carving which is cutting the center of the letters with a v-cutter at variable (controlled) depth.

Tom obviously knows how to do it - nice job!

t_fiddler
05-20-2005, 02:31 AM
Thanks Gerald
I finished this prototype about 20 minutes ago.
I'm still learning, but this ShopBot is pretty cool!!
I'm sure we can help Bud get on the right track.

Thanks
Tom Fiddler
Sign-Me-Up

bleeth
05-20-2005, 07:16 AM
Bud: It depends on your software. Part Wizard has around 10 fonts that are v-carveable; they are in red in the fonts list. Depending on your sub-strate and letter style, typically anything from a 60 to a 120 deg bit is used.
Other software like Insignia can v-carve many more fonts. Go through the featured users section of the SB main site or gallery at ArtCam Insignia and you will see many more examples.
"Looking Good" from there is a question of your choices and experimentation. For that you can use cheap material like mdf or insulation foam depending on which dust bothers you the least!!

Dave

bud_olsen
05-20-2005, 03:44 PM
When my wife gets home with the camera I will take some pictures of what I have done so far. That might show you what I am talking about. Tom That is a nice sign you have there, and yes that is what I am looking for.

Thanks
Bud

WCSG (Unregistered Guest)
05-20-2005, 07:25 PM
Here's one for ya Bud. 45 V-carv, 60 Bevel Cut

http://www.westcoastsignco.com/modules/gallery/albums/album05/house.sized.jpg

rookie432
05-20-2005, 08:21 PM
WCSG,

Beautiful Job!! Curious what paint and substrate are you using there. I notice a nice gloss to your finish.

Bill

bud_olsen
05-20-2005, 09:59 PM
WCSG

Beautiful job ( your killing me man )LOL

Bud

West Coast Sign Guy (Unregistered Guest)
05-21-2005, 12:44 AM
You know the picture look sbetter than it really was. That was the first dimensional sign I made with my bot recently. It was just experimental, 3/4" MDF primed and painted with 1shot. The things I would do different this time around. Next it'll be a HDU, painted then thrown back on the router table with gerber paint mask then v-carv. Cut out both sets of "Gastelum" (top & bottom) seperate instead of just one set.

...One day

I got away cheap this year with mothers day signs. I'll have to find that pic and post that too

cbradshaw
05-21-2005, 07:35 AM
Can you tell me what the name and actual color of the paint you used for the gold is? I have only been able to find metallic gold. Great Job!

Westcoast Sign Guy (Unregistered Guest)
05-21-2005, 10:42 AM
Thank you

Funny thing Carol, It's 1shot Metallic Brass (The Real 1Shot Gold)

Gold and brass should swap contents

05-21-2005, 12:15 PM
Here's the little Dicky Mommy Day Signs I did. I used the Gerber paint masking after profiling and painting the backgrounds and returned it to the router for v-carving and painting the lettering and art.

Wored out kinda cool I guess, put picture frame wire in the back and had the kids write something in the back along with their handprints. Better than buying them something

http://westcoastsignco.com/miscstuff/kitchen.jpg

joe
05-21-2005, 10:19 PM
Bud & Tom

Tom,
I really like that panel. Good choice of letter style and panel shape.

Bud,

Please look on the ShopBot In Use section of the web site. I posted some of this work about three or four years ago. Much of my work is done with a 110 degree bit. Sometimes a 120 degree when doing 1/2" stock and have a broad stroked letter.

Joe

bud_olsen
05-23-2005, 09:26 PM
Ok guys here we go with the problems I was having with the v-carving. I hope you can see it on the long side of the letter P

05-23-2005, 09:48 PM
Pic is so small I can't make it out

edcoleman
05-24-2005, 07:06 AM
Bud:

I had a somewhat similar problem when v-carving a while back. My problem wound up being in the Z-axis. My rack and pinion gearing had a little "slop" in it and made for poor carvings. You might want to check that out.

-Ed

kerrazy
05-24-2005, 07:44 AM
A couple of quick notes for you.
Ensure your material is flat and securley held in place and there is nothing underneath it. Even the smallest amount of chips will cause problems. Also, Ensure your material is the same thickness through out, as this is not always the case with sheet goods, you will see variations of up to an 1/8th of an inch in some cases so be careful. Many sheets of amterial may be cupped so do not count on them to lay flat, always secure them so they are tight to the surface of your table.

bud_olsen
05-24-2005, 07:29 PM
I found the problem with the V-carving it was the gears on the X drives where loose! It cuts much better now.

Thanks

t_fiddler
05-24-2005, 10:18 PM
Glad you found the problem Bud
Now V carve ON!!

Tom