PDA

View Full Version : Re-Do

joe
09-07-2008, 11:34 PM
Early Sunday morning I went to the shop to give my old sign some TLC. I made her in the spring of 1981 from the best Redwood I could find. I don't think this kind of wood is avalailable today. She still hasn't warped, split or cracked. Over the years I repainted with blue, dark brown, and eggplant. Now she's back to her original color.

I laid down a semi-heavy coat of 12 hour gold size around 10 AM. expecting it would be ready in the morning. Slow size, at my shop in the air-conditioned front room usually takes around 18 hours to get ready. I wait till the last minute. That way the gold is mich brighter.When I went back that evening she was ready to gild. It only took about an hour. For those who haven't been around the process, the gold hanging around the edges smoothes right down when burnished, polished.

Over the years I've moved away from smooth, glass like letters when gilding for two reasons. First, they take too darn long to prepare and show every little flaw. Second, letters or ornaments with a little texture glisten when gold is applied. It makes them more visable.

She's a long way from being finished. I'll post a photo of the final.

Joe
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

lstovall
09-08-2008, 06:42 AM
Excellent work as always Joe!

rcnewcomb
09-08-2008, 09:12 AM
Over the years I've moved away from smooth, glass like letters when gilding for two reasons. First, they take too darn long to prepare and show every little flaw. Second, letters or ornaments with a little texture glisten when gold is applied. It makes them more visable.

That tip alone has made my day. Thanks!

jhicks
09-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Thanks Joe, as usual your posts are very helpful, the design and and photos are great.
WOW, A sign maker that has time to do his own sign. Very Nice

john_l
09-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Well Done Joe.

dubliner
09-08-2008, 10:49 PM
I cant wait to see it & your shop in a few weeks - N

joe
09-09-2008, 07:26 AM
Thanks Neville,

I'm looking forward to meeting your also, and excited about the Craftsmen Workshop.

I've sent a request to everyone attending for their last minute travel schedules and any requests for pickup at the airport.

Please don't get the idea I have one of those high dollar, fancy, shops. My little place is just a craftsman workshop. Kind of Hammer and Tong place. It's a down home, hardworking sign hang out. Nothing Fancy.

My work schedule is vert heavy. While you guys are here, I'll have four typical monument sign projects in progress. Or, should be in progress anyway. You might want to give me a hand on them. One is featured on my website. It's a 10' version of the "Brookhaven" sign. There are also six other dimensional signs ranging from 6' to 18' wide. I'm dizzy with work and it's all because of the samples I make to show my clients.

Here I go again, preaching about samples.

Bring your camera.

Joe
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

PS: We'll have some suds at the O'Connels Irish Pub at the close of the workshop.

joewino
09-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Good looking sign...as always, Joe.

Hammer and Tong Place...I thought your shop was known as the Money Factory.

Not a bad idea, Joe. Have folks pay to come to your workshop and then have them work on signs that you've sold. Jay Cooke used to do that years ago.

If you're that busy, you need to go up on your prices. Just a thought.

ljdm
09-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Sounds like an old Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn trick, making others think they want to do your work for you. Have to try that next time company comes and won't go home soon enough..........

brucehiggins
09-09-2008, 12:53 PM
What better way to learn than to work with a master? I don't think there will be any complaints from the attendees.
Bruce

njandpa
09-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Joe, do you use a protective coat of sealer on the gold leaf?
Thanks for the pictures I always enjoy your work.

joe
09-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Ha Ha

But it's true what Tom suggests. I've been sceeming for months a way to get laborers to pay me to do my work under the guys, they will learn something. I gonna work them like dogs. HeeeeHee.

Bruce, lets not get carried away with the Master stuff. It's only age and doing the same work for years. Be sure to bring your camera. It's gonna be fun.

G.

Yes I do apply automotive clear coat on occasion. I seldom do so on a sign which is out of reach of people or water sprinklers. Even the clearest clear coat will depress the sheen of gold. Do it only if you must.

Thanks for the smooth advice Raymond. Good to know your keeping track of me.

Joe

joewino
09-09-2008, 06:55 PM
You're welcome Joe. And the advice is free, by the way. Probably be a good idea to write it down, though.

myxpykalix
09-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Joe has the right idea here. Back when i was 18 right out of highschool I paid $100.00 tuition to intern at "Suburban Homes" a modular home builder in Indiana. We could put up a home and have all systems installed in 3-4 days and I learned more in my time there that i use to this day than anything i ever learned in highschool (with the exception of woodshop!).
So 30-40 years from now people learning from him will have stories about the "master" they learned from...