PDA

View Full Version : Nicest Job in a While...

tuck
10-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Hey guys,

I've been very busy doing lots of things lately but I thought I'd share with you a recently completed sign I did for a local dentistry group.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f332/Superfan52/LDG3.jpg

It's a double sided foam job, 4' x 8', boxed in with sleeves for the aluminum post.

I sell a lot of the black & gold signs. A few things I've learned through the years is:

1. Use 'One Shot' metallic brass instead of metallic gold. It's more 'gold' than the gold.

2. Use plenty of white in your design. It really helps it 'pop'.

3. Use a satin (not flat or gloss) black for the base color. Gloss black highlights every little tool mark left by the CNC and flat black is hard to clean.

Oh yeah, the lady in the pic? That's my fiance' Lynn. I'm getting married for the first time at 56 early next year, and that's REALLY why I wanted to post a new thread! :-)

beacon14
10-05-2008, 10:45 PM
Nice Mark - on the sign and the fiancee!

Congratulations

robert_cheal
10-06-2008, 12:01 AM
Mark,
Nice job on the sign and thanks for the tips.
Did you laminate the blanks around the sleeves or how does that work?

Congradulations on the up coming marriage.
I married later than I planned on. But it's great
have fun and good luck.

Robert

tuck
10-06-2008, 09:39 AM
David,

Thanks. Hey, I never did implement a vacuum table but I sure had fun thinking about it!

Robert,

The sign is boxed in with HDU and that's what I fabricated the sleeves with as well. The 2" x 4" aluminum post were set in the ground first with a sheet of plywood attached to them for spacing and levelness, then we just removed the plywood and slid the sign down over the post. I made the sleeves over sized slightly to make this easy.

It's all glued together with Gorilla Glue, which works great with HDU. The sign is 5.5" thick and appears seamless and as one piece, which is pretty cool.