PDA

View Full Version : My first sign (plaque)

handh
05-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Here is a plaque that I finished last night out of Mahogany for my nephew. It turned out pretty good for a rookie.

handh
05-12-2007, 11:28 AM
I forgot to give credit to my wife, she put the finish on for me!!

Jeff

jamesgilliam
05-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Jeff, Great job on the plaque. I'm glad you didn't forget to give credit where it was due. Even now, six years into the bot, and Jo-Anne still does most of the design work for me....

James

myxpykalix
05-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Very nice. Next time you make something like this you should take some pictures of the different stages of completion on the finishing. My last try at painting inside the letters turned out to be a streaky sloppy mess that wound up a victim of the tablesaw.

handh
05-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Hey Jack,

I didn't paint the letters, I put a stain on it then I applied a sealer coat of lacquer and then after it dried I sanded and then applied another coat of lacquer and then after it dried I sanded again and then applied a Black glaze. The glaze really looks like paint, I even think that it has more depth than paint. Leave the amount of glaze that you want and then wipe off all excess and then after the glaze dries, apply a final coat of lacquer to seal it. This is the same type of finishing that we applied to most of our cabinetry. Almost all of our cabinets are either painted and glazed or stained and glazed. Give that a try.

Thanks for the comments James and also to you Jack.

handh
05-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Jack,

I have posted a couple pics on by blog that shows you better detail of the finish. Check it out if you want.

www.handhwoodworking.blogspot.com (http://www.handhwoodworking.blogspot.com)