View Full Version : Type3 TypeEdit

wayne_webb
09-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Type3 TypeEdit
Has anyone used this software? Like it?

http://www.type3.com/EN/home/home_us.php

mims
09-15-2008, 12:19 PM
I was given a copy of Type3 version 4.3, which is apparently about 7-8 years old now. It is exceedingly difficult to maneuver around in, but at the same time very powerful. The user interface might be the worst of any program I have used (keep in mind, the version I have looks like windows98 style). Just one instance; your right mouse button click zooms in in one screen (a click zooms in once, it's not a hold-down smooth zoom), and the left button selects objects, and you must use the slider bars to pan... then on a different screen, the buttons all do different things. I guess I would call it 'convoluted'. But even in my old version, the 3D design (puffing) seems to be pretty powerful once you figure it out. Curve/spline editing is decent, but I prefer Rhino as that's what I'm used to.

I did an hour long online demonstration with Type3 to see their new version. It looked obviously better than 4.3, and could be worth checking out.. pricey though, about the same as Artcam for the full Pro package. After demoing each of them, I'd have to say Enroute had the best ease of use and was equally as powerful.

But for now, I'll stick with the old Type3 for doing some 3D puffing/etc to augment Rhino.