PDA

View Full Version : Today's Shopbot Project

joewino
11-28-2006, 07:28 PM
Today we installed another ShopBot project. The first photo is a sandblasted redwood sign (approximately 4' x 8')that we did a number of years ago.

Recently it was in an accident with a driver that had consumed a large quanity of adult beverages (more commonly known as a drunk)and we refurbished the sign and changed one panel from "General Dentistry" to "Family Dentistry". The original sign had hand carved incised lettering with gold leaf, but at the time we restored the sign there wasn't time to go into that much detail because he needed the identification. So, I told him that I would just do an MDO and vinyl overlay and then add a nicer panel later. Insurance paid for the repairs.

Well, three years later we replaced the panel with a dimensional panel we did on the ShopBot.

The panel and the letters are 1" SignFoam3 - 15#. The panel background was routed out .5" deep and then another pass was made around the letters with a 1/8" mill end bit just slightly deeper. A chamfer was put on the edge and the panel was cut to shape - all on the ShopBot.

The prismatic letter were also done on the ShopBot using a 120 degree V-bit and then cut to shape with a mill end. The dust was blown off and then spray painted with a rattle can. The surface was painted with One Shot Imitation Gold and then Quick Size and 23k gold leaf.

The panel was sprayed with primer using a HVLP gun and then the background color (Rhino Acrylic) was also sprayed. The border and tops of the letters (on the background) were brushed with acrylics.

Edited to add: the original sign was done 12 years ago...so it has held up rather well, considering it has done battle with a GMC pickup.

cbradshaw
11-28-2006, 08:15 PM
Raymond,

Great job on the sign. What is a rattle can?

joewino
11-28-2006, 08:45 PM
It's a spray can of paint, like you buy at Lowe's. Like Krylon, only this was another brand.

Some folks call them spray bombs. But I wouldn't...not today anyway.

joe
11-29-2006, 08:32 AM
R.

Very nice job Raymond. Not only is the layout very handsome but the use of a CNC has really comes through. I really like the very professional color scheme.

For those who haven't done this scale of work, gilding on beveled letters requires considerable skill and time. I'd bet this sign is even more impressive in person as the gold would really flash.

I'm also impressed that a fellow this old can do such nice work. I guess he's not passed it yet.

J.

joewino
11-29-2006, 08:44 AM
Thanks Joe.

Of course, compared age wise to Joe, I'm still a kid.

You never get too old to learn.

The actual gilding of this project was done by my son, Mike...who just happens to be very good at it.

I think this project is a good example of what dimension can add to a sign. The routed letters are exactly the same style and size as the vinyl ones, but are much more impressive.

And Joe is right - a photo never does justice to gold leaf. It really pops as you drive by. And the gold will be the same as long as the sign is there. No fading.

superior
11-29-2006, 03:25 PM
Great job, Raymond

This sure is a far cry from the ole' show card days, isn't it. Obviously, you have learned your lessons well. I agree with Joe, the colors are perfectly matched, and very appropriate for a dental office.

Congratulations again, and thanks for sharing all this with us.

Doug Strickland
P.S.: I'm almost as old as Joe................

drodda
11-29-2006, 04:14 PM
Thanks for showing us the great work you are doing with your bot. I am wanting to do a sign for my business and hope it looks even half as good as your work. Of course this will get done in my SPARE time?

-D

paco
11-29-2006, 05:01 PM
Yes, thanks for sharing!

I can't wait to master gilding; I'm still in the books (paper that is!)

donchapman
12-02-2006, 07:25 AM
Brother Ray, I find it damned irritating having you showing off better work in a couple of months than I've done producing hundreds of signs on my ShopBot during the past 7 years.

joewino
12-02-2006, 10:41 AM
Don...now, let's not get too extreme here with statements like that. I appreciate the words, but I've seen your work and it's all first rate.

Of course, with a last name like that you have to be good.

Hope to see you again at a future Camp in Austin.

joe
12-02-2006, 02:39 PM
I'm considering changing my name to Joe Chapman. I'd take any credit, deserved or not, like a hobo with a sweet potato pie.

J

donchapman
12-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Thanks, Ray.

I'll be there if Wayne Locke will be so kind as to host another camp in Austin, and so long as he has you, not me, do the signmaking presentation.

By the way.
I'm tired of all the sign material suppliers in Austin mistaking me for you, so from now on I'll just keep quiet and have them put my materials on your account.

joe
12-02-2006, 03:50 PM
I'm considering changing my name to Joe Sawatsky Chapman in hopes of being mistaken for one of you's guys. I'm gonna take, or that is steal, as much credit as possible. It's gonna be like a Hobo with a Sweet Potato Pie.

This may be my best hope for success. Could be effecinet too. I'd be able to cut back on hard work.

Hope you guys don't mind!

J

joewino
12-02-2006, 05:08 PM
Now Joe...you know better than that. I've been copying your work for years - ever since I was a little boy.

Don - I was wondering why my bills were always so high.

Maybe we could do a tag-team presentation at the next one. Chapman and Chapman.

joe
12-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Hey, That tag-team sounds great except, it could be Chapman-Chapman & Chapman. HeeeeeeeHeeee.

JSC

joewino
12-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Joe - two Chapmans is more than enough. Maybe you could steal Sawatzky's name and learn how to make wiggly lines.

Chapman-Chapman-Sawatzky sounds like a good team. Of course, you have to come to Austin.

myxpykalix
12-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Sounds like a law firm to me....

supertigre
12-02-2006, 07:50 PM
Ray;

Does Dan know about this forum?

Guy