PDA

View Full Version : I need to make a stencel for barrel's

knight_toolworks
04-25-2007, 12:01 AM
This is my first job and I am not sure what material to sue so it will easily wrap around a barrel. Some type of vinyl or some other flexible type of plastic?

nappy1
04-25-2007, 06:01 AM
The best product to use is HDPE plastic. It is flexable and you can get in in .090 and thinner.
Just my opinion.

paco
04-25-2007, 09:09 AM
I sold most of the stencils I did from UHMW which is similar to HDPE. It's flexible, it's pretty tough and you can clean it with whatever you have.

knight_toolworks
04-25-2007, 11:28 AM
now time to fight it out (G) I can get both in the same thickness and it is not expensive in the thin stuff. I have had UHMW in 1/8" think and it tends to warp a lot in the thinner stuff does it lay flat? I know it cleans well I sue it for my glueup board with epoxy and such and it comes right off.
not sure how I would hold down the uhmw to cut it really I was going to use spray adhisive but that won't hold it long enough.

ed_lang
04-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Steve,
Sounds like the Brady Vac system would hold this material real nice.

knight_toolworks
04-25-2007, 12:26 PM
ya ya first I have to be able to afford it. or be be able to order some materials. only have a noisy shopvac to use.
I do have a couple of regular vacuum pumps to use. if I make a small vac table what do I use to to seal around the part so the table can be larger then the part?

ed_lang
04-25-2007, 01:08 PM
Steve,
Do a search for the Brady Vac system. Then look at Bradys article on the ShopBot web site.

You can use your noisy shopvac. You do not NEED to hae the Fein. But it sure is nice!

You will be using MDF or Trupan to make a little vac table for the parts. There is even a little tool Bill Young wrote for making these.

I bet Brady will be along soon and give you better details.

matt_r
04-25-2007, 01:14 PM
I just did some stencils in .060 ABS. Cut great, even on small detail. I used a combo fastener/vac hold down. I think it would have worked if I had just used fasteners only. Cut in a single pass with an 1/8 EM.

Should have taken pictures. BUT, I have another one to do in the next couple of days, I'll take a picture of that.

-Matt

john_l
04-25-2007, 04:12 PM
Hi all, where do you buy the abs, uhmw, and the hdpe materials and what do they cost in the .090 or 1/8 recommended thicknesses?

jamesgilliam
04-25-2007, 04:13 PM
Steve, Check out Laird Plastics. They have a location in Portland. Ask them to get you a sheet of 1mm Sintra, (.047") Machines great and will wrap around a barrel with no problem. As far as hold down I use 3/4" foam like you get an Lowes or the orange box, screw down the foam to the table, spray the back of the sintra with 3M Super 77 spray adhesive, stick it down and give it a minute and go to cutting. Picture is of some patterns I made for the wife to use on clay.
6099 James

matt_r
04-25-2007, 04:28 PM
I get my ABS, Sintra (PVC), etc from my local sign supplier. I get the .060 ABS for about $20 for a 4'x8' sheet. I also agree with James, 1mm sintra would work too. Its a little more 'bendable' than the ABS, so it would work well for barrels.