PDA

View Full Version : File help for prs std and link

ken_rychlik
02-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Does anyone have a prs std with the 4g board running the link.

I can't get up and running and need to see some C6,C7,C9 and MTC files that work.

I know the ones that gary built are out there working and Ryan at SB told me to upload the new stuff in sb3,6,14, but it doesn't work.

Thanks.

Kenneth

thewoodcrafter
02-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Kenneth,

I thought you were up and running by now.
I can try to help by Gary has these file already setup.
How is your machine setup?

ken_rychlik
02-01-2010, 09:31 PM
I was almost set up with the prt, but sold it and bought a prs. Back to square one.

I think Gary is getting tired of being a free service tech and I don't blame him.

I just have a std 4g prs with a single router for now.

Hoping to upgrade a little at a time though.

Bill is going to send me his to try.

Thanks

Kenneth

thewoodcrafter
02-01-2010, 09:57 PM
My files are setup for a second Z.
You need manual tool changing.
Those files do come with the latest control software but I have never tried to use them.
I am sure they will need some setting up and tweaking to work.

dlcw
02-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Kenneth,

I've attached a sip file that has several of my custom files along with other files I've created. I run these for MTC on a PRS Alpha with single Z spindle (not PC router) and single Shopbot air drill. You will note commands for SO,7,0 and So,7,1. These are my "press the enter key to start the spindle" bypass commands.

Use at your own risk. I make no warranty as to their functionality on your machine. :-) Let me know if you have any problems.

Don
www.dlwoodworks.com (http://www.dlwoodworks.com)

663 (11.4 k)

ken_rychlik
02-02-2010, 08:23 AM
Thanks to all for the input. I have it running and turning on and off all my other equipment like it's supposed to finally.

I still have a trust issue with it and I guess time will help that.

I do have one more question.
On the manuall tool change, when you run more than one tool on one sheet (with one router) Where do you zero the bit change to ??

Kenneth

dlcw
02-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Kenneth,

Zero to the TOP of the material after a bit change. I learned this the hard way.

Don

ken_rychlik
02-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks

My head is still kind of spinning on my shoulders trying to get all this sorted out.

New machine, new version of ecabs, new relays turning on and off all my vacs, ect...

It is getting a litte better though. I have a project to get out and want to cut it with the link if I can keep my sanity.

Kenneth

bill_lumley
02-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Boy Ken , I can sure hear myself in your posts
. Some days I just wished nothing would change . I just sorted out how to get the Link drilling for leg levellers and the first job I use it the client says he wants 'the old fashion way' of a plywood base to rest cabinets on . He is old school European and wants everything done the way he is used to. I have never had a customer even care about details like this before . If he wasn't a builder and asking for more quotes I would walk away

Bill

thewoodcrafter
02-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Hang in there Ken.
Once you get everything sorted out you will love it.
You will be able to cut cabinets fast and easy.

ken_rychlik
02-02-2010, 03:17 PM
I am still making sample cabinets out of .25 mdf right now. Getting closer with each try.

I finally got one to fit together. I am ready for a beer. lol

ken_rychlik
02-02-2010, 03:47 PM
It's actually pretty darn challenging to make a cabinet out of 1/4 inch mdf. Just checking dados, rabbets, streachers, ect...

thewoodcrafter
02-02-2010, 04:26 PM
That would be challenging.
I used up 2 sheets of 3/4" melamine getting my system setup.

Gary Campbell
02-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Guys...
A little clarification...

The original "toolchange files" that we Link users were developed by me along with serious input from Ryan and Ted at ShopBot. The origin of the files came from ShopBot. Since I was running one of very few machines with a drill on dual Z's, I was destined to do the testing for them anyway.

Getting the toolchanger files to "work" by me allowed SB to concentrate on the SB3 software changes that were required. A good number of very important changes were made simultaneously to our SB Link beta testing so that we could use the full potential of the Link.

My versions of the files were made for my machine. Others were able, with some help from me, to rewrite them for their machines. But these are still stripped down simple files that may only work on the machine that they were written for. They surely are not made for general release for all machine capability as SB's are. Anyone that received my files was required to modify them to suit their machine and control configuration.

SB now has a general release of their Manual Toolchange Files. Kenneth mentions above that they require zero to the top of the material. They do not. However, if you have a 4 by 8 machine you will have to build a separate zero spot to match the spoilboard if you wish to rezero after a bit change. IF you change a bit using my files you will have to rezero to the top of the sheet OR have a zero spot. Some may not like this. I am sure that SB will modify its files to accomodate the user base. But this will not happen if there are no users. Another reason to use their files is that they have tech support.

I am not tired of the tech support business, I have just never been in it. I only have knowledge of one machine, mine, and claim to know nothing of others. I also am selling my machine in the next few months and replacing it with a SB ATC machine. This, along with the fact that we are very busy, leaves me with little or no time to "play" with my machine, let alone others that I am not familiar with.

Gary

ken_rychlik
02-06-2010, 04:01 PM
I want to thank everyone for helping with my link issues. Here is one of the emails I got from Ryan that describes what to do to change the z zero to work from the bed. They are set up to zero from the top of the material in the latest release of the sb3.6.14 software. Also to upload the newest sb3 you need to rename your sbparts folder to a backup name. This way it won't combine the two folders and cause more confusion to your system.

This is from Ryan

"By default the C9 is set to have the Z axis zeroed to the top of material. The MTC files are also used to the post from Partworks and other software that does not use the "&ZSHIFT". You can set the MTC file to zero to the bed by commenting out line number 315 in the MTC file. One thing to think about if you have a manual tool change in the middle of the file and the table is covered by the material how would you zero to the table?

Another thing to remember is the Z zero is only a reference point. It really does not matter where the Z is zeroed as long as the cut files are set up to have the same zero. The files that come on of the link have negative z moves this means the z axis needs to be zeroed to the top of material. If you do set up to zero to the bed the "&ZSHIFT" is used reset the Z axis zero to the top of material by the value of "&ZSHIFT"."

I think I have a buyer for my link, but I hope this helps soneone else get theirs running a little easier.

Kenneth

Gary Campbell
02-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Kenneth...
Thanks for the clarification. What I should have said, was that the SB OEM files are designed to Zero from the top of material, but a simple file edit will allow them to zero off the bed. Therefore, I believe that you are not "required" to zero off the top of the material.
Gary