PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs advice creating embossed Braille

jbworden
10-04-2006, 06:53 PM
I'm attempting to create some ADA signs with embossed braille characters. Nothing serious just room numbers and some restroom signs. I got a set of Gerber ADA bits but I need some guidance. When I emboss Braille into the sign face how much room should I allow for the box around the Braille dots. Should the edge of the box have the same round over as the Braille dots or do I need to switch to a straight bit to clean up the edges? Should I set the depth for the full .030" or would something less produce a better product? So far I'm just using Rowmark's ADA alternative as a medium. Is there a better material for this?

These are the first of many questions. Any other advice that comes to mind would be greatly appreciated.

joe
10-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Jim,

I suggest you get the government specs and criteria. This is a must if the building is scheduled for a occupancy permit inspection from OSHA.

Although you may not be involved with installation, it's good to know what they expect. There is no allowance or fudge factor with this phase of the work.

Our company enjoys this kind of work although we don't touch it in our shop. It's all farmed out to a local company who is set up for the work. There's good money in it by sending the work out. I would suggest you look around to find a backup to help with this work.

J.