PDA

View Full Version : Sign Backers

webbhead
01-15-2005, 01:39 AM
Hey guys,
So I've finally started producing some small residential signs on the side. Now I've got a customer who wants something a little bigger to hang in an archway over the driveway. She said the archway dims. were 20'x20'. She just wants a 3'x2' sign with street number & something like "pine boughs & cones" in no particular color. I added some oak leaf swirly things for symmetry in this preliminary. See http://www.webbwoodworks.com/images/colyer/colyer_layout.jpg & http://www.webbwoodworks.com/images/colyer/colyer_sign1.jpg.

The question is what do I make this thing out of? My first inclination was Extira, since I would have no size limitations that would force additional labor in binding 2- 2x12's in cedar or redwood. Then I thought about how heavy it would be- (I estimate around 15 - 18 lbs @ 3/4" thickness) plus forces from severe Sierra winds.

If I went with Extira, I figured I would fasten a couple fairly long pieces of stainless flatbar vertically on the left & right sides to provide more screw holes & binding surface. The challenge is the screws could not be sunk more than .5"- so I'm concerned that the screws could tear out of the fiberboard. I would also use some poly-u glue under the flatbar. Chain holes would go in the protrusions at top & I might add a couple more flatbars at left & right to control twisting.
http://www.webbwoodworks.com/images/shopbot/extira_sign_suspension_sketch.jpg

The other option would be 2- 2x12 cedar planks bound together by 2 vert 2x4's or perhaps 1x4's. I've seen this done all over, but not sure how. Not sure if 1x4 would be burly enough. http://www.webbwoodworks.com/images/shopbot/cedar_sign_backers_sketch.jpg

During cutting I figured I'd temporarily bind the boards on their left & right end caps as the backers would probably prevent the 2 boards from laying level on the table. On final perimeter cut, I figured I'd go 98% of the way through the boards to maintain registration, then apply the backers before pulling the temporary binders at left & right sides & cutting the rest of the way through with exacto.

Trade-offs:
Cedar (+'s)
1.) Beauty of natural wood (dark stained on this killer clear cedar looks killer). 2.) Thick fiberous material could handle large & deep eye hooks. 3.)Deeper v-carve possible with thicker material 4.) Would weigh less = less strain on suspension. 5.)Would finish faster- dark stain w/ gold.
Cedar(-'s)
1.)Seam break between 2 boards will likely go through the numbers. 2.)Longer prep time before cutting with binding 2 panels... no prior experience with it. 3.)More expensive at $6/linear foot

Extira (+'s)
1.) Quick cut. 2.)Seamless panel. 3.) Less prone to weather (so they say). 4.)$1.80/linear foot @ 12" tall

Extira (-'s)
1.) Heavy, possibly dangerous in wind. 2.)Less depth capacity with vcarves 3.)More work involved in finishing.

I'm leaning toward Extira, just cuz I like to get right to the business of cutting... not prepping (sheet of solvent primed Extira just needs paint). Just need to feel more confident in hanging it at this weight & this high up. Perhaps this is a non-issue, but I can't say without experience.

Any advice much appreciated,

John Webb
Paradise, CA

ps. Anyone have a better graphic for pinecone(s) &/or pine boughs?

kerrazy
01-15-2005, 11:49 AM
John,
Just use vertical grain cedar, and laminate the boards in 2" strips with Gorilla glue, this way it will not warp or cup.

Call me if you would like and I will walk you through this process with some more detail.
Dale

joe
01-16-2005, 11:27 AM
John,

Here's my 2 cents.

I would make a bracket from aluminumn that takes all the wind stress, and attach the sign to that. This keeps the sign from any stress.

I'm not too fond of wood products in this situation as you have to deal with weathering and repainting. I would use HDU or Extira.

You may have noticed how much damage the wind causes to free swinging signs. Here in Oklahoma the don't last much longer that a year, if that.