PDA

View Full Version : Thought some of you may be interested in latest project

kerrazy
10-08-2008, 08:40 PM
It is just over 32ft long and 60" high and is made up of 4 3/4" 4X8 Panels in the rear, 4 1/2" panels on face,1.25 inch Extirra for lettering and Everwood for some of the appliques. Small letters are 23K gold, Large letters are One shot gold. 130 hrs to produce. All artwork was designed in ProfileLab, as one large sign, then letters nested on to sheet and half of extirra, and panels sliced to suit 4X8 sheets. Wings on upper and lower outside corners were were added using biscuit and pocket hole screws, and panels in rear were assmebled on site the same way. 1/2 " panels on face were aligned with biscuits only and then secured with screws, and nails.
It has been a couple of years since I have been in a shop, and I must say this was great therapy for me, sure did miss it!
And of course this was done on a ShopBot Prt 4G,
So don't let anyone ever tell you size matters....

kerrazy
10-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Another angle to get full picture

myxpykalix
10-08-2008, 09:52 PM
beautiful work. I don't doubt that you have 100+ hours in this, very impressive.

joe
10-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Good work Dale,

Sure wish you were doing more of this work. I miss seeing your posts. Lets see now, 130 hours at $6.50 plus materials, lets not forget the gold. You always make more money than me.

I'm not very familiar with Profile Lab. It's been years since I've seen it used. I believe there's a 3D component to it, isn't there.

Glad to see you are using Extira. We use it for letters also. It carves like butter with a chisel.

Joe

blackhawk
10-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Dale - Excellent work. What material did you use for the 3/4" and 1/2" panels? What did you use to smooth and hide the seams?

kerrazy
10-14-2008, 10:03 AM
Hey Brad,
I used Sign Ply,AKA MDO,Crazon,Armour Bond.... Durinf my staging of the panels, I ensured no paint would get on joining seems, to ensure a good clean edge, also this ensured my glue would creep into the wood surface as well. I usd biscuit joints to aid in keeping my faces flat to each other and pocket hole screws to allow me to pull them snug on install. THis sign was all staged in my current employers shop prior to install, which allowed me to overcome any onsite concerns I may have had. This is the second time I have used this method, and it is time consuming on site, but I think you will agree well worth it in the end.

Hey Joe, there is not a 3D aspect in profilelab as in ArtCam, but it does a smarter job of inside corners on Prismatic lettering. Still not as nice as you my good man would do, but it is certainly acceptable. You get $6.50/hr... man you must be livin' good

Dale