PDA

View Full Version : Best native wood for outdoor sign?

myxpykalix
09-04-2008, 02:35 PM
I'm on the east coast and I was asked what the best native wood for an outdoor sign would be? A friend wants me to carve them a sign but i'm not going to make the blank or do any sanding just carve and cut it out so i need to advise. I'm not looking for manmade expensive sign material because i think wood would be cheaper.

ljdm
09-04-2008, 02:45 PM
White oak is pretty good. Carves nice, fairly water-resistant. Better than red oak. Cost is lower than exotics. I use it for all my indoor and outdoor items. I make sure to use exterior spar urethane for exterior work. My 2 cents.

wayne_webb
09-04-2008, 02:48 PM
I'm in Florida. The best native woods for outdoor durability that we have here are Aromatic Cedar and Bald Cypress. Although "fat litered" solid heart pine will probably outlast either one, you probably don't want to carve that on your shopbot.

I would probably go with cypress.

myxpykalix
09-04-2008, 07:15 PM
I see some "regular" cedar up at lowes (not aromatic) that looks very light brown like coffee with a lot of cream color would that be suitable?

brucehiggins
09-04-2008, 07:24 PM
That ought to work fine Jack. If your friend is going to varnish he should use a penetrating epoxy sealer first, then marine spar varnish. If he wants to stain the vcarved part a darker color have him apply the penetrating sealer before you vcarve the sign.
Bruce

wayne_webb
09-05-2008, 10:43 AM
That is Western Red Cedar. As the name implies, it comes from the west coast. I was thinking you wanted something from the east coast. Sorry, my bad. Yes, WRC is a good choice. I've used it for over 23 years and many of those signs are still around.

kencraft
09-14-2008, 10:27 PM
Sassafras is a good outdoor wood. www.kencraftcompany.com (http://www.kencraftcompany.com)

wayne_webb
09-15-2008, 03:46 PM
And it makes good tea