PDA

View Full Version : Learning Gold Leaf

rcnewcomb
06-23-2008, 06:16 PM
I am trying to learn how to do gold leafing. I'd value some input from the pros.

Background: The bulk of the work will be carved retirement plaques. We'd like to be able to add some gold leaf to some of the lettering.

1. Is it easier to do gold leafing on v-carved letters or raised (prismatic) letters? If v-carved, is a ballnose better than a v-bit in terms of ease of gold leafing.

2. How do I get a smoother finish? My first attempts look rather bumpy.

joe
06-24-2008, 07:50 AM
Randall,

Your my kind of man. Not many folks will jump right in and go for gold. Good for you.

If at all possible find a gilding expert and see if he will let you watch. That may do the trick.

This is one of those skills where a person needs a real live teacher. Wish you were close

I like gilding raised letters best but the small ones are the devil to carv. Gilding on these is best done with glass gold, sometimes known as free gold.

ray_skaines
06-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Randall, Joe has a great idea. You may want to check with some older sign shops in your area. As Mother always said, "Never hurts to ask".

You may want to take a look here for some more information.

http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8611#8611

myxpykalix
06-24-2008, 08:52 PM
Randall,
Here is one video I found and there are others, that might help you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5I-pVIClHw

phil_o
06-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Norm Abrahms, of the New Yankee Workshop, did a giltwood mirror in one episode. http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct.php?0701
He had a gilding expert on the show and the demonstration of preparing work for gilding and of applying the gold leaf was excellent.

road_king
06-25-2008, 09:24 AM
I saw Norm on that same episode. Phil is right.

joe
06-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Well, Well,

The video clip by Mr Abrams is somewhat misleading. The process he's showing is used by the picture frame industry and furniture mfg. It's known as BOLE process. Bole is a very refined clay, it comes in several colors, which is mixed with rabit skin glue. The application is very time consuming but once the last coat of Bole is applied, and sanded, it's then misted with water. (Woops Mr. Abrahams forgot this vital little step) That brings up the stickup. That's what makes the gold adhere. Without the water mist the gilding will not stick.

If your interested in exterior surface gilding on signs or letters, forget all of the above because it for interiors only.

So many experts, so little understanding.

brucehiggins
06-26-2008, 02:34 AM
I am jumping on the gold leaf band wagon. Got a commission today for a small exterior sign for an attorney's office - cedar w/ dark blue paint and v-carved letters w/ 24k gold leaf. That will be good motivation to learn. Let the research begin. Any resource info is appreciated.
Bruce

brucehiggins
06-26-2008, 02:50 AM
This from the link Ray gave above: "Once the size is at the proper tack I gently apply a sheet of the 'loose' gold using a guilders brush. A little trick to use this brush is fascinating for some people to watch. Brushing the long soft bristles quickly on the top of my head back and forth creates a slight static of electricity. ...".
I don't have hair on the top of my head - do you think that matters? ;~)

joe
06-26-2008, 08:14 AM
Bruce,

A couple of ideas.

If you paint the background with standard oil based paint, it will be necessary to mask the panel.

Many gilders today don't attempt to pick up the leaf with static. Apply a thin coat of valaline to the back of the forearm. This will charge your bursh much more acuraately.

Be sure to coat out the letters with imatation gold prior to the gold size.

brucehiggins
06-26-2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the help Joe. Much appreciated. I have a couple of questions. Is it not necessary to mask with water based paint? Also, I am not familiar with valaline. What is it? I googled it with no luck.
Thanks,
Bruce

phil_o
06-26-2008, 10:48 AM
I think valaline was a typo. He may have meant vasaline, the petroleum jelly stuff.

joe
06-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Thanks Phil,

Life is going too fast for me. Yes it's vasaline.

Bruce, You would probably need to mask eiher way. Most vinyl masks adhere better to enamel paint than latex. But the main point is gold loves enamel. And once it's attached, I've never been to get it off without messing up the surface.