PDA

View Full Version : 3D Face

mountie1808
11-09-2007, 09:21 AM
Hi all,

New project. We've been asked to put a 3D face on a sign. I've done the "apply bitmap" in enroute at varying depths but still just don't like the results. Is there a software or service out there that can generate a true partial 3D face from a photograph? Of course it doesn't have to be perfect, but more realistic than just applying a bitmap to a surface.

Suggestions?

Mike

nschlee
11-09-2007, 11:07 AM
If your talking about a person's face, then Artcam has a feature to do this with side profiles. Jame's at http://www.carve3d.com/ should be able to help.

mountie1808
11-09-2007, 02:39 PM
I saw that before I posted. I should have specified that it's neither a profile or head on shot (no pun intended).

I'm still looking.

Mike

mountie1808
11-09-2007, 03:50 PM
I actually forgot about the carve3d site. I had already looked around Artcam. I've emailed carve3D. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mike

ilp
11-09-2007, 04:30 PM
The best way I have found is to 3D laser scan the face and head. After the scan is completed, import the scan into ArtCam and make a 3D relief (lots of work) file. Save the file and use ArtCam's "Relief Slicer" and make the face from the "slices"; glue them together and attach them to the final sign. If you don't need a complete head and can get by with the ear's out this method works well. With the 6 inch Z depth of the standard Shopbot a full size head becomes a real issue in cutting any other way. Using the indexer and making a full head in 2 slices also works but involves more time and effort than most people would be willing to pay for.