PDA

View Full Version : ECabinets

john_hartman
04-10-2009, 06:24 PM
So needless to say I'm pretty excited about the recent news! I actually put in a request for the software just prior to hearing about the "merger". I have been in need of 3D rendering software for client presentations and the budget being a bit stretched I was down to either sketch-up or ecabinets. Looks like eCabinets it is! For those using this software; what type of learning curve are we talking about? Is it even reasonable to think of self teaching? I see there's a 35hr ($950) online training course plus another $1295 for the "link", so there goes the budget again...

thewoodcrafter
04-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Welcome to eCabinets. It is an excellent program for presentations and NOW software so our machines can cut cabinets!!

Learning curve is different for everybody but it is not that hard. I have seen some people throw the software in the trash and BUY something else because it was too hard to learn. BULL, it is not that hard to learn. Some areas are harder than others, line editor, part editor for example. What may make it seem complex is the many features.
You can look at a short free video online, buy the manual and ask questions. Join the eCabinets forum. I would think ShopBot would add eCabinets section to our forum, I don't know.
Read, ask questions, use the software. You can't learn without time spent using it.

thewoodcrafter
04-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Here is the link to a free 1 hour teaser.
http://www.ecabinetsystems.com/ecabinet_systems_online_training.htm

joe_dusel
04-10-2009, 09:38 PM
I taught myself to use the eCabinets Systems program and I personally didn't have any problems with it. Of course when I learned to use it it did not have nearly as many features. It's the special features that will take a little while to learn. I'm talking about things like making fluted moldings using specially drawn molding profiles and that sort of thing.

If you already have the software watch the videos that come with it. These are also free. If you don't already have the software you can access them here:

http://www.ecabinetsystems.com/ecab_new/pages/ecab_2005/ecab_tutorials/ecab_tutorials.htm

Yeah, they do go a bit fast, so you might need to watch them a few times. The eCabinets forum is also a great place to ask questions about the software.

The software also has lots of built-in help features.

Joe

harryball
04-10-2009, 09:45 PM
Very Interesting indeed.

/RB

beacon14
04-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Does eCabinets handle closets with Rafix (RTA) fittings? Just curious, since I've already paid the big bucks for CabinetVision I'll likely stick with that. If eCabinets does closets I might be kicking myself, if not I'll be a little happier that I went ahead with CabinetVision.

thewoodcrafter
04-11-2009, 12:50 AM
David,
Start kicking.
I've never used them but they are in there.

thewoodcrafter
04-11-2009, 12:54 AM
Hey Joe,

Are you out-sourcing your cutting now?
If you need a ShopBot demonstration let me know.
I'm in the high desert just up I15.

joe_dusel
04-11-2009, 01:19 AM
Roger,

Yes, I am outsourcing to a shop in Ramona. I usually take the jobs with all of the Rafix RTA hardware for them to process for me. Thanks for the invite! I'll have to do a Mapquest on your location. I'm in Vista.

David,

There really is not much that you can not do with the eCabinets Software as far as cabinets go. Closets are a piece of cake. In fact, the new free libraries contain fully customizable faceframe and frameless cabinets.

I will try to attach an image of the closet job I am currently bidding on.

Take care,

Joe

angus_hines
04-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Damn Roger I went to school about 10 miles from you on top of Big Bear Mountian.

thewoodcrafter
04-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Man they get a lot of snow in the winter.
I try to say away from the area till the spring.

john_hartman
04-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Roger/Joe, thanks for the links. I had not seen those. I finally got a confirmation for the software, but have to wait 10-14 days for the CD to arrive by mail. They must be swamped with software requests from Shopbot users..

thewoodcrafter
04-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Wow, that is a long time.
I never heard of it taking that long.

They must be swamped.

Gary Campbell
04-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Guys...
This is not a great shot, but the first files in a nest, on the simulator. Notice the cut off path for the waste! Luvin it!

Gary

john_hartman
04-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Gary,

Is this your first go at eCabinets? Are you able to produce 3D renderings yet? Whats to the most difficult task to learn so far? Any bugs in the file conversion?

Gary Campbell
04-11-2009, 02:45 PM
John...
Other than a quick look at it a year and a half ago, I received the eCabs disc yesterday. Yes, this my first real look at it.

I was able to do the 3D renderings easily, using default cabinets placed in a room. I did have a small problem during placement, but it was in my video cards antialiasing settings.

Non of the tasks to date were extremely difficult, however I have not gone very far beyond what was covered in the intro video. All is eCabs seems fairly straight forward, but will not be learned in a day or 2. I am seriously considering the online training, as this will add to the value of the software package by allowing me to get up to speed much faster. I envy guys like Roger that have been using it for years.

I ran the file twice. once to see what it actully looked like in the preview mode. The second, I made numerous pauses in the file from the keyboard to see what the toolchange callouts, parameters, depths and speeds looked like in the actual machine code. All is well.

I personally need to make customized versions of the toolchange custom_cuts to accommodate my machine. Then we make sawdust!
Gary

joe_dusel
04-11-2009, 08:41 PM
There are some things in eCabs that are more challenging than other. This is a job that I'm currently working on. It involves two rooms - the office which you see through the door passage, and the living room where the equipment rack shows up. The cabinet goes right through the wall, so the bulk of the cabinet is in the office with door panels to access the wiring. Unfortunately that was the only image that I had of the actual equipment rack that is going into the cabinet, so it's a bit dark.

john_hartman
04-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Good news Gary! You bring up a good point; tool changes. I know your machine has a couple z's and a couple air drills, but would there be a way to add a manual tool change for those lacking in multi spindle/tool shopbots?...

Joe, seeing your rendering really brings some excitement back into things. I can't wait to be able to present such a drawing to a client! This has to help sell a job and give the client a lot of confidence in hiring you. How do the shadows work? This seems difficult to me.

gene
04-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Can you resize the stock cabinets from the library?
Also I think that e cabinets has a program that allows you to buy hardware for building ( RTA )as well as slides and alot more . Check it out , it may be of use to some of us and if they are willing to work with us on this level of software , maybe we can return the favor by purchasing thru them.

Gary Campbell
04-11-2009, 11:20 PM
John...
ShopBot is working on a toolchange routine that will work for the upcoming ATC AND those that require a manual bit change.

Gene...
Yes... you can resize and modify and then save as a "seed" cabinet that you can build from or modify later.

Thermwood is currently in the process of eliminating their "store" items from the program. I am sure, that due to the cost of maintaining this "free" program, they have other ways planned to fund it. Those of us that do end up using it should find a way to give some back by participating any way we are able.
Gary

gene
04-11-2009, 11:42 PM
Giving back is always good , Help those who help you and those who cant help themselves . I am excited at the offer . I have been looking at thermwood since version 2.3 but i have beeen using extreme software cabinet solutions for my lists and renderings, I like it good but i see change in the future, Too good to pass up. do you have to run the program on the computer that is hooked to the bot or can you design on one and thumb drive it to the bots computer?

joe_dusel
04-11-2009, 11:59 PM
John,

The lighting in eCabinets is one of the harder (weaker) parts of the software. It's a trial and error process for that. You need to setup lights in a room, adjust their positions, heights and intensities, and finally you hide them. There are about 5 lights inside the office and two shining on the equipment rack cabinet. The lights are unfortunately not yet directional. The renderings do look pretty good once you play around with the lighting, and they really do help to sell the job.

The eCabinets software also lets you bring in props such as plumbing fixtures, lamps, plants, pianos, desk chairs, etc. to help make your presentation more realistic. The folks on the eCabinets site tend to be a friendly bunch as well, and a lot of them share both what they have learned as well as posting rendered items for us all to use.

As you use the software you learn the tricks, like making a mirror. These are things that you can learn by taking the Thermwood classes, frequenting the eCabinets forum or, (if you are in the San Diego area) taking my class at Palomar College. My class is a heck of a deal at about $40 for around 13 weeks.

Gary Campbell
04-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Gene...
I just ran some simple files designed in eCabs and transcoded thru the ShopBot Link. On my design computer with a SB simulator. Here are my notes:

The ShopBot Link needs to be installed on the SB control computer. When you nest a file with the link, it is not saved to the drive, it is output directly to the SB control and the file runs.

You can transfer files in the .TWD format (default eCabs format)from another computer to the control/link computer without problems via thumb drive or other media.

Because of this the dongle must be installed on the SB control computer. One of the things we beta testers need to watch is how the SB control works with a dongle in the USB port.

I am going to try and get to the shop and test a toolchanger that will work for both multiple axes and manual tool changes later today. A side benefit of this is that it should work with Vectric products also, to allow multiple bits and manual toolchange and rezero with eCabinet generated files and Vectric OEM postprocessors. This allows 1 cutting file per project as a benefit, and also has the bit change during an open part file as a danger flag. Unless you can design cabinets that require a single bit, these bit changes are to become a way of life.

This only applies to us non ATC owners.
Gary

thewoodcrafter
04-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Gary,
I noticed too that the Link output file is NOT saved and runs directly.
I hope this feature will change.
It also is NOT a TXT file that can be read and edited like we are all used to.

Gary Campbell
04-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Roger...
I dont think that that will ever change. It is the nature of the beast. Having been used to editing out my own mistakes, I have some reservations, as you do. Maybe we will just have to learn to design and toolpath.

I am sure that this is a security issue. This prevents a Link owner from processing files for others. If it were a simple text file it could be translated into a usable file for any machine.
Gary

john_hartman
04-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Gary, I wasn't aware the SB was working on a ATC. I assume this will be an add-on feature? Any idea of a release date and what the rough cost will be?

john_hartman
04-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Joe, I see what your talking about. I'm sure without the shadows it completely changes the look of the drawing. How long does your class last? Not 13 weeks for $40, right? My brother lives out there and I do visit at least once a year for a week or so... Do you have a week long class?

Gary Campbell
04-12-2009, 11:03 PM
John..
During a conversation at my Camp in Feb. it was confirmed that an ATC is in the works. I do not know the type, price or the release date. You can be sure that if it is a drawbar type ATC it will be 5 figures. There is no way around that.

There are PC router based units out there that are around $3K, but then you have $3K+ into a router.

Again.... I have no real idea of what, when or how much.
Gary

joe_dusel
04-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Oops John, you are right. It's 16 weeks of 4 hour classes for $50. I forgot the $10 material fee. The problem is that's for California residents only.

I would like to do a short class as well if the administration would let me. The school is looking into getting a CNC, so I'm hoping to get involved with that as well.

Joe

dray
04-13-2009, 11:12 AM
How Old are you Angus. I went to school in Big Bear as well

dray
04-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Back to the topic.. I started messing with e-cabinets on Friday. Its a bit confusing.

I will opt for the class. Im in the middle of a couple jobs, I was going to use the software for but it takes me some time (forever) to learn new software.

angus_hines
04-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Danny Im' 43 and it was the CEDU school. That was housed in some big old mountian house just before you get to the ski resort.
I know at some point back in the 50's and 60's it belonged to some famous actor.

dray
04-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Ahh. Im 39 and went to Northshore elementary then a short run at BB HS before moving to Huntington Beach

benchmark
04-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Is there anyone up and running yet ?

Paul

Gary Campbell
04-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Paul...
I havent heard from anyone else, but both Roger K. & myself have previewed files designed in eCabs and processed with the SB Link. I have run them both on the similator and my machine (air cutting with live spindles & drills).

We have found a couple minor glitches that can be solved very easily with a few lines of output changed in the Link output file. Roger has experienced some cutting errors,(preview) but it may be due to an unrelated problem.

Considering the normal difficulties of trying to marry one brand of machine language with another brand of machine this will go very smoothly, I am guessing. The combined team from both Thermwood and ShopBot have shown me an extremely quick turnaround time with solutions to any problems so far.

Gary

ttwark
04-15-2009, 01:43 PM
We are very interested in eCabs and I've been looking at the minimum computer requirements posted. We would have to buy a new computer (need to anyway). XP Pro is highly recommended but I keep getting info. on Vista business downgrade when I look for XP Pro to be installed on a high powered laptop. Dumb questions, is this the same thing, or for you who have already tried the download, what are you using? We get kind of lost when everyone starts speaking "computerese". Thanks for any advice that might help us know what we should be thinking about for a computer that could run our Shopbot with eCabs, VCarve, etc.

Gary Campbell
04-15-2009, 01:51 PM
Tom...
Vista is NOT reccommended or supported. There is info that you can follow to attempt a Vista install, as I and others have sucessfully done.

eCabinets has a powerful graphics engine, do not try to install it on an underpowered system, below that of the reccommendations. take the specs off the Therwood eCabs forum to the computer store with you.
Gary

benchmark
04-15-2009, 02:07 PM
Gary,

Thanks for the update.

Paul

ttwark
04-15-2009, 05:32 PM
Hi, this is actually Tom's better half, Deb, asking the computer question (he said my post was too vague). I know Vista is not recommended but with XP Pro being phased out, I guess I was wondering what a person buying a new computer should do. I did get the system recommendations off the web site and I'm using that to shop around. Thanks, Deb

davew
04-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Hello, I am new to this forum but have been using e-Cabs for 3-4 yrs. It's exciting to find that e-Cabs is linking up with S/B, as my business can afford a S/B but not a Thermwood.
A year ago I got a Dell M60 with 4 gig of memory and a video card that Thermwood recommends at the Dell refurbished store at about 1/2-2/3rds the cost of new. The system came with XP Pro along with Vista business lic.(haven't installed vista yet). I looked at the refurbished site and there are several systems with XP Pro.
David

thewoodcrafter
04-15-2009, 07:00 PM
I thought that when having Dell build you a computer you could order it with XP Pro without a problem. Maybe not.

The refurbished machines may be older than Vista and would come with XP Pro.

gene
04-16-2009, 12:19 AM
Will the link work with partwizzard 2.000b ?

thewoodcrafter
04-16-2009, 12:29 AM
Gene,

What is your question?
Does the eCabinets ShopBot Link work with partwizzard?

kerry_fullington
04-16-2009, 07:52 AM
Deb (Tom) Twark,

eCabinets does not support Vista at this time. (Vista support is to be included with the release of Version 6 which will probably be released sometime this summer) Some people are running eCabinets on Vista and getting it to work. Others are having problems. It would be best to get your computer with XP Pro with a future upgrade to Vista to minimize difficulties working with eCabinets. eCabinets is a complex software and you don't need the aggravation that trying to run on Vista creates. You might want to visit the eCabinet Systems forum and do a search on Vista and see some of the difficulties before investing in a Vista machine.
My recommendation is that you dedicate the use of one computer to eCabinets. Pay attention to the recommended specifications especially for system Ram and the graphics card (NVidia Quadro)eCabinets needs a lot of computer.

Kerry

Gary Campbell
04-16-2009, 07:58 AM
Gene...
PartWizard 2 is a design/toolpath program. The low end of the Delcam suite. And a few model years back.

The ShopBot Link is a translator between eCabinets design software, which formerly only had output to Thermwood machines, and our ShopBots. eCabs is a very high powerful professional cabinet and furniture design program that takes a fairly healthy computer to run.

THe ShopBot Link, other than during the nesting phase doesnt consume that many resources.
Gary

paul60
04-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Hi
can anyone tell me where i can find ecabinets computer system recommendations.
thanks paul

benchmark
04-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Paul,

Here, http://www.ecabinetsystems.com/ecabinet_systems_recommended_computer_system.htm

Paul

knight_toolworks
04-16-2009, 01:14 PM
dell does make them with xp but it is limited to the business computers. the computer I was looking at had both xp and vista.

pappybaynes
04-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Are these requirements for the design computer or the design and control computers???

A side note, you can purchase a "downgrade" from Microsoft from Vista Business to XP.
Dick

benchmark
04-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Hey Dick

I think going from Vista to XP would be an upgrage.

Paul

pappybaynes
04-16-2009, 03:32 PM
I agree with that Paul, but MS calls it a downgrade

Gary Campbell
04-16-2009, 06:33 PM
Dick...
THe specs on the eCabinets website is for the design computer. The ShopBot Link is not a resource hog. it will work on most of the SB control computers out there. The .TWD file from eCabs can be carried in a thumb drive to the control computer.
Gary

g_hinton
04-16-2009, 09:21 PM
With this link will this software design, nest, 3d demo, cost, cutlist and send to cnc to cut all for $1295? Or is there something else to buy to make it work with the cnc?

Gary Campbell
04-16-2009, 09:28 PM
Gary...
You have hit it on the head. The good news is that the list of features is much longer than yours, but there will be a substantial learning curve. For eCabs more so than the SB Link.

Of course you have left out the obvious, you must also have a ShopBot.
Gary

gene
04-16-2009, 11:12 PM
Hi Gary C.
What i was trying to ask was what Gary H. asked? Is there another software to buy to get the bot to cut what the e cabinet software designs ? Does the ecabinet software replace the partwizzard software? sorry to be so confusing . i guess what i am asking is does the ecabinet software work with the shopbot control software as long as you have the link?

Gary Campbell
04-16-2009, 11:24 PM
Gene...
Partwizard and Partsworks are 2.5D Cad programs with toolpathed output to CNC (CAM). They are used to draw single parts and place them on material. Partworks now will nest sheets for production work.

The eCabinets software is a very advanced proffesional cabinet design software with a fairly steep, but not insurmountable learning curve.

Yes, if you have eCabinets software, and you have designed cabinets that you want to cut, you can cut these files on a ShopBot if you have the SB Link.

The Link must be installed on the SB control computer and the dongle installed. Using the Link, you can open that file, then set your toolpath, nesting and tooling parameters, click on "send to SHopBot", and your SB software will start up and the file will run.

Hope this is clear.
Gary

gugnheim
04-16-2009, 11:30 PM
Guh, thank you for posting the software requirements link. I am very interested in this but my new big gun laptop is saddled with Vista. I am a little disappointed to see that multiple cores/processors aren't taken advantage of. Thanks for posting that link.

ttwark
04-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Thanks to everyone for discussing all the requirements. I have a much better understanding now. One poster said something I'd like to get clarification on. If I got a laptop with all the requirements including XP, could I design, get all my work done on laptop and save cut file and put on flashdrive and move that file to my computer that I have dedicated for nothing but my shopbot (Dell with XP Pro but no internet access) as long as I bought the link and installed that link on the Shopbot computer? Thanks, Deb (who is slow but starting to catch on)

Gary Campbell
04-17-2009, 10:25 AM
Deb...
Yes, with the following clarifications:

1) There is no "cut file" as we know it. You can transfer the .twd file to the machine computer in this way with a thumbdrive.

2) The Link and dongle MUST be installed on the SB control computer. When you click "send to ShopBot" the file is going to run immdiately.

(you can also use the linkg & dongle on your design computer in preview mode, but there seems to me to be little to be gained by this, as it all goes by very fast!)
Gary

beacon14
04-17-2009, 11:16 AM
So, if you have a job with multiple sheets, do you get a .twd file for each sheet, or is there a single .twd file with all the parts which are then nested on the control computer.

What happens if there is a problem during cutting (don't ask) and you want to re-start a file half-way through?

Gary Campbell
04-17-2009, 11:46 AM
David...
As I know it there is a single twd file for the job. There are ways to rerun the file and call up a certain sheet or part. Since I am not that knowledgeable, I will hope that Kerry Fullington will answer this. Kerry, for those of you that dont know him, (me included)is a very accomplished woodworker and has "Wizard" status on the eCabs forum. His word is respected among eCabs users as those of Brady Watsons would be on this forum.
Gary

thewoodcrafter
04-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Maybe I can help here.
It is 1 TWD file per job.
This includes all information on all sheets and parts required for the job.
In the LOAD part of the Link program you pull in that TWD file and you get an option to de-select any parts you don't want to nest. Not per sheet but per part. Now you can de-select all parts that are not on the particular sheet where things went wrong and have a nest for 1 sheet.

BTW - Kerry is by far a WIZARD with eCabinets and does things with the program I didn't think were possible but I don't think he owns a machine.

ljdm
04-17-2009, 10:09 PM
Just got my copy of ecabinets - not bad - took 7 days. Only bad thing is, now I'll have to go for the 4g upgrade, since it won't work with pre-4g boards. Didn't really want to go for both costs right now, guess it will give me time to learn the software.
Probably good idea to start an ecabinet area on the forum, got a feeling there is going to be a lot of posts about it.

gene
04-17-2009, 11:18 PM
Lou,
I would imagine you are correct. I know that this will get a lot of interest . I am waiting for my copy but i feel there had to be a huge response for their software. What do you mean about the 4G upgrade? What bot do you have? i have a prt alpha with the 7.21 upgraded motors .Will it work on mine or do you think i will have to put more into it to get it to work correctly? If it took 7 days then my disc should be here next week. Thanks Gene

thewoodcrafter
04-17-2009, 11:38 PM
The ShopBot Link output file only works with the beta version of the control software 3.6.X

That version will only work on an alpha or a 4G upgrade.

Any of you guys can join the eCabinets forum. They have some real experts there and quite a history of questions to review.

Of course now I think we have Joe Dusel on here that teaches an eCabinets course at the local college in the San Diego area.

kerry_fullington
04-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Gary,
Roger is correct, I can answer many of your questions on the use of eCabinets as design software but am going to be useless after the .twd file is created. You can probably get an answer by posting on the eCabinets Forum. I think there are plans to create a dedicated ShopBot Forum either here or at eCabinets or possibly both places linked together but I don't know when that is going to happen.

Kerry

benchmench
04-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Roger or Gary,

It appears the output of the SB link is one file for the whole job ("Write to Shopbot"). How does it handle tool changes and re-zeroing? I couldn't find this info in the link manual.

benchmench
04-18-2009, 11:34 AM
I see this question has already been raised here:
http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9102
but it doesn't look like manual tool changes are implemented yet in this version of the link. Is this correct?

Gary Campbell
04-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Dan...
The only way that you can take full advantage of multiple cutting tools is to have more than 1 cutting head. That is to say you must have a second spindle/router or 1 or more drills.

Roger and I are testing a beta version of the toolchange routine with the SB Link at present. Roger has a second Z and I have a second Z with 2 drills.

From a safety standpoint, I cant see a bit change and rezero during an active cutting file being supported by a tool manufacturer.... ever.

Here is a quote from Ken Susnjara the CEO of Thermwood, posted on the Thermwood Beta Forum:

" OSHA requires that the power connection to the spindle be disconnected in a manner that it cannot be reconnected automatically before a manual tool change (actually to meet the requirement you have to turn it off and place a padlock on the switch). We have a manual “tooling disconnect” switch on Thermwood machines that disconnects the spindle from power and prevents the machine from moving whenever a manual tool change might be needed. If you are going to manually change tools during a program, you need something like this. Otherwise, if someone gets hurt you have big problems, since the machine owner is responsible for meeting OSHA requirements. The best approach is to not manually change tools and live with any limitations."

I am not going to say that this could NEVER happen, but no one with an average amount of common sense could disagree with his statement. No one with an employee in his/her shop will implement something that could put that employee in harms way without facing serious consequences.

You will have the ability to select individual parts and cut them using selected tools. This is, of course, a workaround, but eCabs and the SB Link are high quality software built for feature loaded machines. Those of us with less, will have to be ingenious. This should be no surprise, most ShopBotters have been doing this all along. A power disconnect with lockout on the spindle power cable could perform this task.
Gary

benchmench
04-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Gary,

The short answer then is "No, manual tool changes with re-zeroing are not supported in this version of the link"

Gary Campbell
04-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Dan...
The SB Link has nothing to do with toolchanges. In fact it sets up one at the beginning of each file and every time a new tool is required. These requirements are user selected. If you design your cabinets so that they can be cut with a 1/4 or 5mm bit, you dont need a toolchange. Many with a single axis do this now.

Since I have already tested Link output files with manual changes included, I know this can be done. However, after running the first file this way, I can tell you that it wont happen in my shop again unless I install a power lockout. During a manual change, anything that hit the keyboard or static from touching the bit, could cause the machine to start, both the spindle and movement. A lockout may only stop the spindle, not any movement.

The short answer is: I am sure that someone will do this in the future, or already has. They will not receive any info on how to do this from Thermwood, ShopBot or myself.

benchmark
04-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Gary,

Thank you for all the information, I am hoping I will be able to get by with two spindles and a drill head, I do have a spare drill if I need it. Do you know if we need to replace the Shopbot contol card for the latest V204 card for everything to work with eCabinets ?

Paul

Gary Campbell
04-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Paul...
As far as I know, there is no need to replace the card. I am running V201, I think, and probably wont upgrade to the V 204 until I can add it with the next generation CNC controller board.

Unless, of course, you are like me and need to add additional inputs/outputs to handle some of the automated features of the SB Link.
Gary

benchmark
04-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Gary,

Same here, I have run out of output switches allready.

Paul

benchmench
04-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Gary,

Are you saying you could run each tool operation per nested sheet when you hit the "write to Shopbot button"? For example, drill all 5mm holes on the nested sheet as one "write", then machine all 3/8" dados on the sheet as another "write".

Or, is it more like one file with all operations included and you are required to run all operations at once and have all necessary tools available online?

What happens when you have to change sheets? a PAUSE in the program? or do you issue the next "write"?

I'm trying to get a better feel for this to understand what hardware is required in addition to the link.

Thank you

Dan

Gary Campbell
04-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Dan...
There are some options, like do not cut profile... etc. That I have seen, looked at briefly and have not revisited. If I have scenario that you are thinking of correctly, no, I dont think that will work, but thats not definitive.

You will need to plan your cabinet design around your machine & tooling capabilities. In other words, if you have a single head, then put in a 3/8, 1/4 or 5mm and design around that.

The link has been designed for production nested base machining, even there will be some, dont expect a lot of consolations or workarounds for lack of tooling ability.

There are many in this community that cut cabinet parts commercially with a 5mm bit. They do this because they have tried the bit change, 2 file process and it takes longer. Thermwood has an article on their site to the same end.

You will have to have all cutting complete on a sheet at one time. At a sheet change a message box comes up and tells you which material to load.

Other than a ShopBot and a few bits, a file designed or imported into eCabs is all that needed.
Gary

tommypickard
01-15-2010, 07:47 PM
I would like to view a TWD file. would someone email me one that I might exam before I go any further in this area.pickardtommy@yahoo.com

Gary Campbell
01-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Tommy...
The TWD file is an encrypted file that can only be transcoded by Thermwood machines or the SB Link. If you had one, (TWD)and unless you had a valid dongle hasp installed on your machine you would not be able to view more than a few lines of the code. Header and footer, along with toolchange segments can be viewed.

Do you have a or any specific questions? There is a pretty good bunch of guys here that have cut a lot of eCabs generated files. I am sure you can get any question that you ask answered well.
Gary

thewoodcrafter
01-15-2010, 09:37 PM
Tommy,

What do you plan on doing with a TWD file?

dlcw
01-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Like Gary said, the TWD is a go between file format between eCabinets and Thermwood machines or ShopBot Link. The output from the SB Link is text that you can read. But you do need to purchase the HASP to be able to view it. I could send you a small part of the output from SB Link but it would not be complete therefore would not be usable. But it would let you see the kind of code that SB Link puts out.

Let me know.

Don
www.dlwoodworks.com (http://www.dlwoodworks.com)

kerry_fullington
01-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Tommy can try out the link for free now. Maybe that test run would answer some questions.

Kerry

englert
01-18-2010, 09:50 AM
This posting seems to have started at the turn of the century, but one of the points asked was about the learning curve. The whole training venue has changed since those intial postings.

To summarize, there are really five methods of learning eCabinet Systems:

1. Self-teach. There are multiple help files within eCabinet Systems. Either go to Help from the menu and choose Help Document, press the F1 key or click on the Question mark symbol wherever you see it.
2. In conjunction with method 1, use the forum. Search the forum for previous posts and register on the forum to post or reply to questions.

The first two options are free.

3. The Nearly Complete Guide to eCabinet Systems. A 700-page workbook that guides you through every aspect of eCabinet Systems. Previously described in this forum, also. This guide is a companion document to our online video series. Cost is $110.
4. Online Video Series. Has changed from the previously mentioned annual subscription of $950 per year to a monthly subscription of $25. More afforadable and accessible through the web. You can easily watch the video on one monitor and follow along with eCabinets on another, as has been suggested. It's been awhile since I've summed it up, but there is over 25 hours of video available to you.
5. One week course at Thermwood Corporation. Focus. For $750, you'll get the Nearly Complete Guide to eCabinet Systems and nearly one-on-one training. Attendance is limited to ten and computers are provided. This is probably the quickest way to get indoctrinated with eCabinet Systems. Previously, we had three-day seminars around the country. Those were a non-stop, crash course. There are no three-day seminars scheduled at this time.

We have a support desk, but the mission for those is to help and troubleshoot, not to train over the phone. They'll be happy to help you through some of your trouble spots.

As with any software, difficulty is in the eye of the beholder. But with just a little effort, a person can overcome the initial. Use the tools available to you. Many are free. Those that aren't free are relatively inexpensive.

I think that if you expend a little effort learning eCabinet Systems, you'll indeed find that this is a robust, flexible and very capable program. Give it a try.

Thanks,

Dennis Englert
Thermwood Corporation
Manager of Product Training