PDA

View Full Version : My day kind of sucked.

knight_toolworks
06-11-2009, 01:53 AM
turn on my machine and it is quiet. yep spindle fan died. I had a replacement on hand (only 18.000 on ebay) because I thought the original was going bad because of a loose wire.
took about a hour to get the old one out unsolder the wires and put the new one on. kind of a pain getting the plug off the housing.
the day before I cut some derin for a new customer. only a 24x48 piece that cost 300.00
I used my vac table and I was going to screw the parts down before I cut them loose. the sheet slipped and cut a couple of the rings a bit off. the other parts I remade but the big ones there was no extra.
He did not tell me he was expecting a really nice leave of finish. these are for a museum display. I think he has had all his parts made at a machine shop. no way my bot is going to give that level of finish. here is a pic of one of the pieces I had to take some thickness off of. I could have gotten it a bit cleaner making a second pass and only taking a few thousandths off of it and a higher rpm I used a onsrud o flute.
I also had to pocket some .159 holes and the shavings would mar the face of the pieces and he was upset about that. even of the sheet had not moved he would not have been happy. we settled on 50.00 and called it even. hey 16.00 a hour I did good (G) I guess I should have had him bring me a sample and do some test cuts. but I never knew he wanted that level of finish. I may have turned down the job if I knew.

landdesign
06-11-2009, 02:17 AM
Steve... count your blessings... I have a 48" disk that I was inlaying an 42" elf into... 5 hours into the prep of the inlay and the power went on half way through and then right back on... cut out into the middle befor I could get it stopped... poop!! back to square one...

Erik

landdesign
06-11-2009, 02:19 AM
ok... a 42" ELK.... HA!

Erik

knight_toolworks
06-11-2009, 02:22 AM
that does suck but it's not your fault.
atleast I did not supply the material that would have really sucked.
I need to get 2 ups's for my shop computers since they both are on the two 110 circuits I have in my shop and my two fein vacs are each on one. run another tool and it is easy to trip a breaker.

knight_toolworks
06-11-2009, 02:22 AM
I liked the elf better