PDA

View Full Version : Setting up PRS standard with air drill

alister
06-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Reading in another thread that the Airdrill constant run had been fixed in new control software from shopbot....Is that the latest version thru the website with the surfacing glitch or something else.

Also if anyone has the same machine as me with 2.2spindle I,m curious what your feed rates are.
I plan to use 1/4" & 5mm -blind dado

It was a stretch to buy the link and I bought the printed version of the nearly complete guide, but won't be springing for the video training,if anyone stumbles upon something useful while surfing I'd be interested in the link

frank134
06-19-2009, 04:16 PM
I call shop and ask if they fix or change the software for the drill to turn off and on. I was told they have not change it. It still run constant.

Gary Campbell
06-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Alister...
You were probably reading one of my earlier posts and you have it almost correct. I will try to explain.

For link users there have been new parameters added to the VC command that allows the drill to cycle on and off during the plunge and retract of a drill cycle. This MUST be setup in the toolchanger (C6, C7, C9) files, but does work well. Here is a video of this working: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmYlwc4Cmlw

For PartWorks Users there are 3 options:
1) to use a modified post processor that turns the air on before a plunge and off after.

2)build a custom post processor that incorporates the new VC commands to allow air motor cycling.
3) use the toolchanger post processor that comes with PartWorks.

In order to take advantage of these options you MUST have an added solenoid valve to control the plunge of the drill head separate from the Air motor on the drill. As it stands now, I am not sure if this is available from ShopBot, but it may be. I have speced out a few of these valves and they seem to be working well for those users. Maybe one of the guys with the modded drills will chime in with the post or the part numbers. If not send me an email.
Gary

nat_wheatley
06-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Alister,

About halfway through this thread you'll find pictures of my modified drills, along with the part numbers required for the set up.

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/27/35067.html?1238153177

I can e-mail larger versions of the photos if you're can't see them clearly in the post.

Let me know if you have any questions on the setup.

Nat

alister
06-19-2009, 10:27 PM
I'll order the parts on Monday.....thanks for the help.

nat_wheatley
06-20-2009, 06:17 AM
One thing to also factor in is that you will be using an additional relay for each added solenoid valve. I had 2 spare relays in my control box, but you'll want to check yours if you are considering making the change.

dlcw
06-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Alister,

I sent you an email with the Onsrud chipload charts. These charts can be found at: www.onsrud.com/xdoc/FeedSpeeds (http://www.onsrud.com/xdoc/FeedSpeeds)

Granted these rates are for Onsrud bits but can probably be used as a general guideline for other bit manufacturers. I use them on my PRS Alpha 96x60 with 2.2hp spindle and air drill.

As always, your mileage may vary and use at your own risk.

Don

alister
06-29-2009, 04:52 PM
Thanks for taking the time to do that....I've been playing with the rates on different jobs, and this will help.