PDA

View Full Version : Some signs last year

rookie432
03-07-2007, 11:44 PM
I think I posted some pics of this last year but here was the completed install.

not as good a pic but not a bad layout. Sign for the local engraver. trid to make it look like a engraving tag

This was for the guy who built my new workshop.

Recently I have been fabing mostly cabinet and countertop jobs. Can't wait to get back o some more creative stuff.

P.S. thanks to the great VECTRIC guys these were all made possible by Vee Carve Pro

BIll

jhicks
03-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Very Nice Bill. Whats that brushed aluminum sign material and dimensional accent made with? Looks Like an Ultra foam aluminum skin base but that trophy and corner bolts look great. Purchased as is or made and finished?
Love to know the source for those types of hardware items.
Are these HDU, wood, medex or? base materials
Great job on design and fabrication on all of them.

rookie432
03-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Thanks Jerry,

Believe it or not these are all 90% Extira MDF.
The trophy case sign is vee carved extira mounted to an MDO backer to support it on the post mounts. The finish is an exterior latex paint designed by Metallic Mart. Their paints are kindof neat. They have a slew of pearlescent and metallic brush on paint products. They are somewhat opaque and holds the brush stroke so I just drug a foam roller across the face to get the brushed alum look.
The trophy is HDU w/ silver leaf. And the corner bolt covers are just the cheapy embossed elements you get anywhere. Both the trophy and bolt covers are coated with Pelucid. Crystal clear high solids clear coat product that I have had excellent luck with. Pricey though, about 30 bucks a pint. I used it on the edges of the Noble sign too which is why you can see the gloss. Pelucid is very high gloss. I like mixing textures in my signs. Gives me a another pantom level of depth. Flat backrounds with high gloss letters looks great.

Bill

wcsg
03-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Nice signs bill! I like the combo of adding that wrisco

john_l
03-11-2007, 09:42 AM
Great work Bill. Well designed and well executed.

I am experimenting with both Vcarving and cut out letter styles. I was wondering... On Capital; Is all of the copy Vcarved? Cause the lower copy kinda looks prismatic to me (and I am still really seraching an easy way to do full prismatic letters).

Also wanted to ask; On the Noble sign... What edge tooling was used on the cutout letters?

Thanks for posting a great inspration.

rookie432
03-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Thanks John,

Couple of things going on here. First the Mortgage letters are prismatic letters cut out and applied to the sign. I did the same thing with the CAPITAL letters, However the Capital letters were first vee carved then cut out leaving a 1/4" flat border line around the edge of the letter. This inadvertantly created a really neat visual effect as it tricks your eye . It actually makes the letter look like its "floating" in front of the sign.
I will say this about the extira... I will NEVER try to gold leaf it again. There is just no way to get this material smooth enough for gold leaf. I spent more hours trying to build up the surface of those letters and then smooth them enough for guilding. Extira can be sanded plenty smooth eough for paint...but for gold leaf I'm gonna stick with acrylic or HDU from now on.

On NOBLE I Just first did a Profile pass with a vee carve bit at 3/8" depth and then came back with a straight bit to cut the letters out. You'll need vee carve pro to get this effect.

You'll find it is a lot less work to cut out letters and apply them to your sign backround then to try to pocket everything out around them in your sign. It is much easier to paint and also get different effects with your letters.

This also lets you get many more layers of depth.

Bill

rookie432
03-11-2007, 10:11 AM
By the way,

Eric... not sure what "wrisco" is?

Tanks for the Kudos though.

Bill

joe
05-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Bill,

Good looking signs.

Like you, I find the process of cutting and painting parts, then putting them on the sign to be much faster and cleaner.

About getting a smooth surface on Extira. I've found a very fast, clean method to spray High Build auto primer. It's dry in minutes and sands very smooth. For us HDU is very difficult to get smooth unless it's 18 lb.

Keep up the good work.

J.

wcsg
05-09-2007, 10:06 PM
Bill, The brushed aluminum maker, if that's what you used. Hard to tell from the pic.

d_m_a_n
05-29-2007, 06:02 PM
Wow, those look great!
Good Job

rookie432
05-30-2007, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the kudo's Damon. can't wiat to get back to more sign work.

Bill