PDA

View Full Version : Creating Signs

csbrads@home.com
02-13-2001, 09:02 PM
If I want to create a sign by typing the name in Corel Draw do I have to import the name into the Vector Cad Cam software to create the shopbot file or can I convert it in Shopbot? Can someone please advise the best way to do this.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Carroll Bradshaw

dan@burningimpressions.ca
02-13-2001, 10:48 PM
You can export it as a dxf from corel and convert it with the shopbot converter or vector, you will have to covert it to curves befor exporting.

ssanda@nvbell.net
02-15-2001, 02:33 AM
If you're cutting out each letter, don't you have to apply an offset either in CorelDraw or a cad program to account for the bit diameter?

And if you are carving the sign don't you have to assign tool paths in a cad or milling program after design in coreldraw and before converting in Shopbot?

jkforney
02-15-2001, 09:56 AM
Rick
Yes and yes.
If you use Vector you can pocket (carve raised letters or carve out the letters)and the carving is the out/inside of the letter. In the dialog for the pocket is a place for final pass/offset (check out draw:other curves:pocket:Horizontal or spiral:finish distance which should be 1/2 the diameter of your cutter.

If you are doing engraved 3d letters look at vfontz or vcarvz on Vectorcam.com web sight. Also you can check the Vector forum which is under support. There have been many discussions on carving/pocketing letters.

John Forney

ssanda@nvbell.net
02-15-2001, 12:19 PM
Oh, good! I was hoping it wasn't as easy as going from Corel directly to Shopbot as I just bought Modelmill and have been practicing creating tool paths for corel-based sign designs (we haven't set up our machine yet)!

The room started spinning when I read danhamm's post- thank's for the reality check. ;-)

I agree there is a wealth of info already on the forum and in the owners manual if one is inclined to research it.

dan@burningimpressions.ca
02-15-2001, 01:17 PM
Rick, sorry I was so cryptic in my response,
"but" it is as easy as going from coredraw to the shopbot converter, if you convert text to curves,
and use the tools within corel, such as cotour,
trim,weld, and are able to "fill" whatever you are building, it will cut very well, you won't get
any 3/d moves the biggest problem with corel,
is scanning or using broken lines or pieces,the ups and downs and silly moves will drive you crazy. I think you will find that you will end up using and trying a variety of programs before settling with what you like,When you put a $75.00
piece of birch plywood on your table you want to know and trust the cut file you are going to use..

ssanda@nvbell.net
02-15-2001, 08:22 PM
Well, that's the curse and blessing with the shopbot, isn't it- there are alot of ways of doing alot of different things. Sounds like fun to me!
thanks.