PDA

View Full Version : PRSalpha Buddy owners-Table cofig?

cliffn
02-17-2008, 05:39 PM
Hi, my new Buddy is supposed to be shipped March 7th. So that means still about a month for it to arrive. I have lots of questions that will be answered when it arrives, but, understandably, I'm anxious to know now. Anything you can tell me about your Buddy will be appreciated. Most importantly, so that I don't have to do as much brainstorming (although that's how my brain usually works, like a storm), what have you done to set up your tables. Vacuum systems, clamping systems, ect.?

harve
02-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Congratulations on your impending arrival.

The one that wasted alot of set up time for me was my X,Y & Z movement was off. Turned out that when I ordered the 7.2 gear upgrade, they did make the necessary changes on the machine so it was traveling twice as far as it should have. It took a few calls to Shopbot before it dawned on anyone that this was my issue. The resolution was just to go in and divide the default numbers by 2.

I used a 3/4" piece of baltic birch under 3/4" MDF for spoilboard. Scott from Shopbot tools sent me a cut file for the table holes.

As far as hold down, I just use double sided tape and / or Irwin clamps. I would like to figure out a vacuum hold down system. Kind of difficult with the bottom being solid aluminum. Something that enters through the side would work though. If not mistaken, I thought I saw a post where Brady was working on something that could work on the "buddy". The tape works well most of the time, but occasionally will slip. I use the clamps when possible as insurance.

Brady Watson
02-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Mike,
Yes, you are correct. I am in the process of engineering a vacuum solution for the Buddy line. There are a few challenges, as I am sure you already are aware of, but I think that I have something that will work really well. We'll see! I'll post something when I am done.

Thanks!
-B

cliffn
02-18-2008, 08:41 PM
Curious question Mike,
is the aluminum table considered the zero distance in the Z Axis' 5" total travel range, or did you still have 5" of total travel after you added the 1 1/2" of wood?

Also, thanks for your response.

cliffn
02-22-2008, 08:29 PM
For those future Buddy owners waiting for a response, I called Shopbot. The 5" travel takes into account a 3/4" top added onto the aluminum bed. From this, one could calculate that anything over 3/4" would reduce the 5" total Z travel by the same amount.

harve
02-23-2008, 05:01 PM
Sorry Cliff. My daughter was born one day before my Buddy so my knowledge and shop time is very limited at this point. I assumed the extra 3/4 reduced travel, but did not want to steer you wrong before I double checked. I made it back to the shop this morning, but obviously you have your answer. Glad Shopbot was able to get you the info. They are very good about that.

cliffn
02-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Hey Mike,

Congradulations. I seen this coming together in another post, but I did not put it together with your post here. Need to pay more attention to names. Good luck with your new daughter and your other baby when you get time. Keep your priorities straight and the rest will just work out.