PDA

View Full Version : Indexer Skull

wooddr
10-15-2007, 05:57 PM
I'm still learning all about the indexer. It has many possibilities. This is a skull made out of 2 pieces of 4" laminated foam.

Dirk

rick_woodward
10-15-2007, 06:09 PM
HOLY -KERRRRMACKERAL !!!! Mister ! he he ! I LOVE it ! Great job, all shopbot or did you tweak the final ? Irregardless, its a cool piece off the shopbot !

harryball
10-15-2007, 06:43 PM
oh great... now I want an indexer. Imagine the 3D bat models I could make!

Looks very nice.

Robert

wooddr
10-15-2007, 07:36 PM
Rick,

It's all Shopbot with the help of Artcam Pro 2008. Robert you would have a lot of fun making 3D bats. Once a person figures out some of the set up tricks and tool pathing it will be a lot of fun.

Dirk

harryball
10-15-2007, 08:08 PM
I have a workshop on October 30th. While I'd love a 3D version I'm going to try and cut a full scale Australian flying fox (about 6' wingspan) to use in the presentation. Having 3D props of various bats would be a blast for the kids.

Robert

rookie432
10-15-2007, 10:15 PM
O.K. Dirk now I am seeing the benefits of an indexer for my shop. Had no real interest until now. Thats fantastic...I don't need to carve skulls but I can now see many more applications that would fit. How many hours you got in figuring this out??

Great work

pfulghum
10-15-2007, 11:59 PM
Dirk,
Maybe we should put together a "Poor Man's Indexer Cookbook"

Start to finish ... suppliers ... parts list...wire connections, etc.

Bill,
Do you have an Alpha?

-- pat

rick_woodward
10-16-2007, 07:22 AM
Pat and Dirk
From what I've read,a "Poor Man's Indexer Cookbook" is greatly needed.In the begining of my shopbot adventure, I wanted to build a huge version of an indexer. One capable of a log sized piece. Say, oh, 12 ft by 18".... Although I have an alpha 96". Well, I could settle for one that will easily handle 8 ft by 18". Please... Go for it ! I think MANY people would appreciate it. Dirk, I have been looking into foam for shopbot use and other sculpting , what did you use for a hard coat on this ? And could you give an idea the time involved cutting the skull ? Thanks.

myxpykalix
10-16-2007, 08:25 AM
I too would definitely be interested in the "cookbook". Maybe all those who would be interested should chime in with a "me too" to gauge interest. I don't know that much myself but would be willing to contribute what i do know to help the cause. So Pat and Dirk we may have unwillingly volunteered you for duty! Let me know if i can help.

oddcoach
10-16-2007, 09:04 AM
COUNT ME IN

ed_lang
10-16-2007, 09:29 AM
I would read this cookbook for sure

wooddr
10-16-2007, 09:33 AM
Wow,

I had no idea that a little project could turn out so much interest. I did this skull mainly to help me with figuring out the setup z heights and different roughing cuts. My main goal is to build some ornate columns for my fireplace mantle. I sold the mantle I have on a remodel I did, because I didn't have time to build a new one for them.

As far as the coating on the skull, Bill Palumbo has some products he recommends on the support site: http://www.shopbottools.com/resourcelist.htm.
I just used a latex primer that I had on the shelf to keep it from flaking off. The skull took about four hours to carve and about one hour computer time.
As far as how many hours figuring this out, I would have to say that Pat and I each have over forty hours in research phone calls e-mails and actual time building the indexer. I am glad we did it, because I learned a lot. If you value your time though you could buy the indexer from Shopbot and be ready to cut in no time.

I think the indexer has a pretty big learning curve, mainly because of lack of documentation. That being said if I can figure it out, anyone else can too.

Pat and I will work out “cookbook” list,

Dirk

billp
10-16-2007, 09:57 AM
I have just asked Shopbot to update the Resource list (which can be found on the Shopbot web page, under "Support", and then "CNC Resource list")with some more of the coatings which Dirk has mentioned above. There ARE plenty more, but I have not tried all of them personally so I'm a little hesitant to recommend them at this point. I will try to cover some of these at the next few Camps...

Brady Watson
10-16-2007, 04:08 PM
Pat/Dirk etc,
Not to take any wind out of your sails - just an FYI - an in depth Indexer video, 'The ShopBot Indexer Demystified' is planned (don't ask about a release date yet) for the ShopBot Alpha style indexer & how to make your own indexer using off the shelf components. It will cover how to use the indexer with PartWizard, ArtCAM Pro, VCarve Pro and Cut3D, covering both 2D and 3D topics including design considerations and toolpathing. It's still cooking at the moment...so those who want in on it will have to be patient. I'm sure it will be a big hit when it is released...but in the meantime, I'm sure those who have the indexer would love a copy of your pamphlet.

-B

myxpykalix
10-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Dirk, I sent you some mail but it kept giving me "server busy" messages so let me know if you do get it or not.

wooddr
10-16-2007, 06:27 PM
Jack,
I did get your e-mail. Thank you very much.

Brady,
You won't be taking any wind out of my sails. A video on the indexer or any other documentation will be a great help to everyone. I certainly don't want people to think I am an expert on this indexer because I did a skull out of foam.

This will be a constant learning process for me.
As far as the cookbook I am under the impression that it will basically be a list of parts we used to make the indexer.

Dirk

dray
10-17-2007, 03:19 AM
thats cool!

bill.young
10-17-2007, 06:59 AM
There some Indexer information building up on the ShopBot wiki in the "ShopBot and Accessories" section, including a new page on testing movement and manually writing indexer commands by Scott Cox. The wiki would be a great place to add this kind of information since everyone has access to it and contributors can easily collaborate.

The direct link to the indexer section is http://shopbotwiki.com/index.php?title=IndexerMain

Bill

drodda
12-19-2007, 04:00 AM
Bill,

Where is the information that you referenced? I went to the site through your link and the pages were blank?

bill.young
12-19-2007, 06:53 AM
Sorry about that Dave. I've been working on the navigation of the wiki a little and had to rename a bunch of the pages so that the names would make more sense in the menu tree. The indexer info is at http://shopbotwiki.com/index.php?title=Indexer

You can also find it by going to the wiki home page and looking in the main menu or the navigation tree on the right for the "Hardware" category and then looking in "Accessories".

Bill

norm
12-19-2007, 03:57 PM
Brady,

Any idea when the indexer video will be ready? Many thanks.

Norm

Brady Watson
12-19-2007, 05:13 PM
Norman - when it's done, is all I can say for now. Business has been so good that I simply haven't had the time to produce a video. It's a comin'...hang in there!

-B

matt_conklin
06-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Dirk,

The skull is sweet! I just got my router and will be cutting lots of foam. What bit are you using in the first photo?

Matt

wooddr
06-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Matt,

The bit in the picture is a split end type engraving bit. I just used that bit on the teeth for clean up. The rest of the skull was done with a 1/4 inch and an 1/8 inch ball nose cutter.
The biggest problem I have run into when cutting foam is that it can melt pretty easily.

Dirk

blackhawk
06-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Dirk - Does the Artcam Pro have the indexer support built into the software? Did you have to do any tricks within the Shopbot control software before you ran the cut file?

Has the indexer video that Brady mentioned ever been completed?

wooddr
06-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Brad,

Artcam does have some support for the indexer, although it is kind of confusing for a simple minded carpenter like me. You have to make or import a 3d model and then you have to unwrap it flat so Artcam can make a tool path for it. I am sure if you used this everyday it would become a lot easier. The problem I have is that I don't have that much call for indexer type projects, so I tend to have to figure it all out again.

I don't think Brady has had time to put together a video on indexer use. That is a good thing for Brady, it means he is busy!!!!

Dirk