PDA

View Full Version : Shopbot resume

Joe Q
10-08-2003, 10:00 PM
The company I work for bought a shopbot about a year or two ago. I was some how nominated to be the person to learn how to use it. Which turned out to be a good thing.This is an awesome machine!!! I couldn't see doing the things we do on it by hand, like we use to. Also the experience on it is a plus!
Anyways, my question is, how would I go about describing my work with the shopbot in a resume? Do I say I'm a programer? A cnc machine operater?
Just hoping someone out there has done this already and can help me out.
thanks in advance..
Joe

bjwat@comcast.net
10-09-2003, 08:57 AM
Joe,
Your job description using the Bot probably encompasses both. I would lean more emphasis on the operator portion because if you say that you are a 'CNC Programmer' that generally means that you can write G-Code fluently from scratch. On older machines that companies invested thousands, or millions of dollars into years ago, they might only have a keypad and monitor on the machine...Let's hope not!

I just 'retired' from programming in a manufacturing environment and now make my daily bread with the Bot. I'm sure that you can use your SB experience to land a job as another operator...which usually entails a little programming here and there.

I wouldn't worry too much about what your resume says...Once you get the 1st interview lined up it's you that ultimately sells yourself.

-Brady