PDA

View Full Version : AGAIN slat wall question

coach
11-15-2009, 07:40 PM
I made a few spinning slawall displays. I used a metal lazy susan for the spinner.
I need to find something that is stronger as the sheet meal screws that attach it are not going to be strong enough in a retail environment.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks, David

jerry_stanek
11-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Can you use 1/4" thread inserts or blind nuts on them

navigator7
11-15-2009, 08:03 PM
Spread out the load over a longer area.

coach
11-15-2009, 08:53 PM
The cabinet and base are 14" x14" with a 12" lazy susan
The problem is the 1" sheet metal screw you have to use to install the lazy susan.
I don't think a 1/4" insert would balance the area needed. It is also 60" tall.

What is a blind nut.....(I'm not blind)

jerry_stanek
11-15-2009, 09:10 PM
What I am saying about the 1/4" thread inserts is use them to mount the lazy susan. A blind nut is also called t nuts they get installed from the back side and are flush with the material. We use these fasteners all the time for our displays. They hold real good and easy to put together.

wberminio
11-15-2009, 10:05 PM
Dave

I just built a similar sized cabinet on a swivel.
I used the same size swivel.The screws seamed fine.
I was screwing into plywood.

The t-nuts may work,but they need to be installed before you assembled the cabinets.

coach
11-16-2009, 12:08 AM
Erminio

The first set of screws secure the lazy susan to the MDF. No problem there......the screw goes through the metal and into the MDF 1"
It is the other operation that worries me.
I go through the MDF then into a pre-drilled hole in the sheet metal. The screw only goes throught the metal about 1/4".
That is all the clearance between the 2 plates.
I am hoping somebody knows about a specialty item that I am not aware of.
I think it was only a #8 screw. I would have to check to be sure.

wberminio
11-16-2009, 08:03 AM
Dave
What I don't follow you on is- where is the sheet metal?
Is it part of the base?

bob_s
11-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Maybe you can use the trick I used to install some boat seats. There are lazy susans that have an access hole in one side. If you make a mating hole in the base, you can attach it to the base and then screw it into the bottom of the unit by rotating the base/susan combo to put in the screws one at a time.This is the only way i could get some fishing boat seats attached so they would stay on in heavy seas. If you can't find lazy susan bases with the hole I can probably find where I mail ordered these from
Bob