PDA

View Full Version : Estimated times for carvings

menewfy
05-10-2007, 01:28 PM
I am wondering if anyone has actually timed a peice compared to the estimate. how accurate is it? if it says it will take 20 hours to carve something that is 12x9 is that realistic? I intend to use 1/16 or 1/8 ballnose bit not a v bit and using it on pictures. I guess I will know in a week or so but it would be nice to have an idea ahead of tiue just the same.

And if it is realistic can some of you offer up suggestions on how to make the cutting time shorter? I will be cutting into pine for the most part 12 inches wide 3/4 thick. what should we set the feed rate at if we are going to go .1 inch deep?

lots of questions hope you don't mind because I am sure there will be a ton of them before I get he hang of it.

Tim

billp
05-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Tim,
Since everyone's machine/material/software/is unique, other people's testing may not help you at all. Pine is cheap enough to do some feed rate tests in, and at the depths you are going you should be able to dial in your optimum speeds pretty quickly.
ALL of the "time to cut" estimators have the same issues, no one's ramping values are the same so the program REALLY doesn't "know" how long it will take to do the job. As posted many times on the Forum- 3D carving is a different animal due to the number of variables involved in each job.
This is a great way to use "scrap" material, run test files...