PDA

View Full Version : Source for in line vacuum filter

bstern
06-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Any one have a source for reasonably priced in line filter for a vacuum system.
2 1/2" or 2"

Thanks

Brady Watson
06-06-2007, 06:06 PM
Bob,
You're going to have a tough time finding a filter that size with the proper airflow. Generally filters are MUCH larger than the tubing that goes into/out of them. Just like a fuel filter...your car air filter etc.

Here's a partial shot of a prototype that I did a few years ago. It's made from plywood and houses a Purolator air cleaner filter from some automotive application. Just go to your auto parts store and start going through the biggest boxes you can find! This one is attached with a few t-nuts, some all-thread and a plywood circle with holes for the all-thred to go thru...plus some wing nuts to make it easy to service.

You'll want to make yours as big as possible to allow for extra capacity. You'll also want to come up with a gasketed door so that you can service it and keep the vacuum from leaking out. If not, you can always just screw it shut, but test the box for leaks.

I think this filter was about $19 and it is at least 12" long. You may find that Ridgid filters from Home Depot is also a viable alternative, but you'll have to make your own enclosure.

-B

tgm
06-06-2007, 09:24 PM
These size and larger filters are readily available for all types of vacuum systems. We run a 20hp Seimens vacuum pump with a filter setup from Solberg Mfg.(see link below)
Check with Graingers or Mcmaster Carr as they are both Solberg distributors. Check online to get the correct size filter for your application.
We just replaced our original element a few months ago for only $25. We clean once a week and have never had any upstream problems.
Check it out and don't try to re-invent the wheel.
Good Luck,

www.solbergmfg.com (http://www.solbergmfg.com)

Tom in PA

Brady Watson
06-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Tom,
Great link...while the filters are cheap, the canisters themselves are over $250. It's definately the right 'tool for the job' if the budget allows for it.

-B

tgm
06-07-2007, 12:22 AM
Brady,
That's correct. In this case I am spending $250 to protect a system invest of over $8000. Very cheap insurance in the overall scheme of things.
This is one of those things you just don't 'cheap out' on if at all possible.

Tom in PA

brian_h
06-07-2007, 02:11 AM
Seems to me a 5 gallon pail with a good lid might be of value for fabricating what Brady did with plywood. It's just a thought.