View Full Version : Cleaning bits??

myxpykalix
01-04-2007, 01:39 AM
I need to do an overdue task of cleaning my bits because as you can see
lots of gunk has built up on them. I have tried soaking them in mineral
spirits and that doesn't soften this buildup at all. Is there a
chemical solution i can use to get this off? Also i've never shapened
bits myself and wondered if there was a tutorial anywhere? or if you
have some directions on the best way to do it? Thanks!

cnc_works
01-04-2007, 02:17 AM
Jack, carb cleaner or oven cleaner should clean your bits handily. Soak'm, use a brass brush on the stubborn spots. However, it looks like you might be running a little hot which is hard on carbide. Check your feeds and speeds.

Donn

fleinbach
01-04-2007, 04:39 AM
I've used this to clean my saw blades and it worked fairly well. Though I have seen my saw blades look burnt like your bit and occasionaly my hand router bits I have not ever had one burnt when using the bot.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4011

myxpykalix
01-04-2007, 05:21 AM
I neglected to tell you these are bits i use on my legacy ornamental mill so feed speed is not programmable. The majority of the buildup i think is due to some green tiger maple i ran thru experimenting trying to make some spiral legs for a toybox i'm making. I ran some nice dry cherry thru last nite and it rounded real nice with no raised grain or problems i'll hopefully get them spiraled tonite.

mzettl
01-04-2007, 09:35 AM
I've used oven cleaner on my carbide blades and bits for years. Spray it on, wait a few minutes, rinse off, and dry. Occasionally, I have to use a brass brush a little, but I clean my bits regularly, so I don't allow much build up to occur. There's no need to go buy "special" bit cleaning sprays when this method works well, and is cheap.

As far as sharpening bits is concerned, as long as the carbide is flat, you can touch up the edge with a small diamond stone. Just keep the stone against the flat side, and count the number of strokes so that you take the same number on each insert. Do not try to sharpen along the edge itself. As long as the bit is not extremely dull, this method will help preserve a sharp edge. Ultimately, the bit will need professioanl sharpening.

Good luck.

Matt