PDA

View Full Version : Disabling/troubleshooting prox switch

henrik_o
02-01-2008, 12:57 PM
I seem to have developed a bad proximity switch. I get false "Proximity Switch Hit" dialogs when I shouldn't.

Until I can get a new switch from Shopbot, I need to disable the faulty one (I assume it's one and not both).

In SB3 under the VN command, there are several options in the fill-in-sheet. I've read the command reference section pertaining to this command, but don't quite get it.

The first option is "Limits ON or OFF". Since I want to identify the faulty switch, and retain the working one (if there is one) I assume I should not set this to OFF, also this option seems to switch on/off all input channels rather than just the proximity switches.

Since the proximity switches are switches #2 and #3 I assume I must change the state of these until I can identify which one is the culprit.

The options for "Input Switch #2[/#3] Mode" are: "0 - Standard Switch" ; "1 - Normally Open"; "2 - Normally Closed". Currently, the state is "2 - Normally Closed".

Should I set this to "0 - Standard Switch" or "1 - Normally Open"?

Any more advice on this particular issue?

Brady Watson
02-01-2008, 01:50 PM
The 'old school' way would be to just pull out the wires from input 2 & 3, and tie #2 to ground & tie #3 to ground...Now they are always 'normally closed' until you get your replacement. One of the settings in SB3 is to diable limit checking (SF) plus file limit checking (VL), and - you can also disable limit switches by the VN command, as you have alluded to...Worst case, ground the limit swithes and go back to work.

-B

Gary Campbell
02-01-2008, 10:50 PM
Henrik..
Had some of the same problems in the past.. Try this, one at a time.. set switch 2 or 3 to position[0] (standard switch) then see which is the problem
Gary

fleinbach
02-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Henrik,

I suppose your dust collection system is grounded. Before I grounded mine I was getting false prox switch hits.

henrik_o
02-02-2008, 09:37 AM
Thank you for the answers. Frank, yes, DC is grounded and the false hit repeats with the DC shut off.

I'll try identifying it in VN by setting #2/#3 to [0].