PDA

View Full Version : WHAT DUST

coach
12-17-2009, 06:46 PM
Thought I would show some slatwall waste.
This is from 5 panels of 32 slats at 60". 1 3/8" wide bit. Also filled up the extractor bag every 5 panels.

gc3
12-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Geez that looks bad, your lungs among other things are not going to be healthy for long...must be a you know what to clean up that mess

Gene Crain
www.plantasymaderas.com (http://www.plantasymaderas.com)

coach
12-17-2009, 09:22 PM
ya Gene, it was a you know what to clean.
Cutting along the 8' was not an issue as I had an extractor at the end and the dust shot into the accessory attachment.
But cutting along the Y axis had no way to get anything in there. I told customer more notice if he wants more cut in that direction as I need several days to devise a way to catch that killer dust.

coach
12-17-2009, 09:24 PM
O ya,,,,,I am open to any ideas as how to get extraction in that area.
Thanks for any ideas.
David

mims
12-18-2009, 08:01 AM
seems you could get a small dust shroud or find an adjustable metal angle duct and rig it to the carriage, so it would be in line with the spindle at the edge of the table and travel up and down the table with it. anything would be better than nothing. Doesn't have to be $$ and elegant.

dray
12-22-2009, 02:24 PM
OMG... alot of dust!

Here our simple dust collection system

$80 ebay cyclone. 2 vacuums from harbor freight.

servant74
01-02-2010, 10:17 PM
http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm
and the associated forums at http://www.cgallery.com/smf/index.php?board=1.0 (plans are on the forum) would make a reasonably 'cheap' dust collector cyclone type collector. Not a good as ClearVue I am guessing but a lot less expensive and reasonably adequate.

That much dust makes me squirm, just thinking of the possibilities for problems.

chiloquinruss
01-03-2010, 03:04 PM
I think you guys are missing his point. He does not have a general dust collection problem. It's just when he's cutting slat wall with a slat wall bit. The 'hole/slot' that the bit makes traps the resulting saw dust from escaping into a regular dust collector. What he needs is some sort of specialty collector that will suck the dust from inside the slat in the wall. At least that what I think he is asking for. Russ

servant74
01-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Russ, thanks for clarifying that for me. I read it and probably saw what I was expecting to see instead of what was really written. My ADD gets me that way some days.

jerry_stanek
01-03-2010, 03:57 PM
I think I would use a duct cross and run three pickups off the main trunk with one hose at each end of my Y and the trird one down to the dust foot.

coach
01-03-2010, 05:04 PM
The issue is fabricating a duct for under the length of the X. When I cut slats in the x direction I place a dust collection accessory at the end of the table that works well.
When I cut slats in the Y direction I haven't come up with a way to catch the dust.
The rails don't leave room to put anything there.

curtiss
01-03-2010, 09:55 PM
In the old West,

it was said that "If you don't make dust, you eat dust." ...meaning it was best to leave on your horse first.

For some reason, that wisdom does not apply to a Shopbot.

chiloquinruss
01-03-2010, 10:39 PM
What if you made a manifold out of 1in pvc pipe that had junctions at each projected slot path. Russ

myxpykalix
01-10-2010, 06:24 AM
When i first saw davids pic above I thought "What a piker!" thats not dust..here's dust!" but never could find my picture. Well I found it. So David who wins??

navigator7
01-10-2010, 08:25 AM
@ Jack,
One of the best hardware stores I've ever experienced was Ballard Hardware in Ballard, Wa.
EVERYBODY, stood in line waiting for the next salesman. No cuts.
The floors were heaped...not with sawdust but with layers and layers of tools.
You'd ask for some very uncommon tool and then follow the salesman at Warp 9. After a while he'd stop as if checking his bearings....(that was before GPS...) and then he'd start going Gopher.
After a little digging...out pops the the precious tool nobody else had in Seattle. It was a daily miracle.
Unfriggen real! The place was packed 6 days a week.

The fire department made them clean it up.
Ruined the store.
They put everything back on the walls and customers starting falling through the floor boards.

Don't invite the fire department over for a barbeque.

myxpykalix
01-10-2010, 08:36 AM
That is why i don't allow the neighbors in the shop, you don't want them to be callin the law on you. One of these days i'll have to post a picture of how i set my front lawn on fire and burnt it all up, hey theres even video too! lol

coach
01-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Jack, I think you win. But I did clean after every 5 panels.
I get regular visits from the fire Dept.
Somebody (shop next to me) complained about me spraying contact adhesive.
I was ok but it cost me about $800.00 to change my occupational license due to my old address on it. I moved 3 times in the same facility but never changed unit numbers.

coach
01-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Russ, good idea. When I get some time and money I am going to make something up.
I think I will need something that flares out to catch the shooting dust.
Any ideas?
Thanks, David

beacon14
01-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Except that David's dust was from that day's cutting, Jack is storing all the dust he's ever made since he got his machine right there on the floor.

jerry_stanek
01-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Here is a quick sketch of what I would try to collect the dust off the sides.

mikeacg
01-10-2010, 01:19 PM
I think Jack wants to be buried under his Bot!

myxpykalix
01-10-2010, 06:17 PM
no no you have it all wrong...i use that sawdust to stuff my mattress.
Actually i do clean it up in the winter because i use a big reddy heater and all i need is for a spark from that to land in a sawdust pile..not!

chiloquinruss
01-10-2010, 08:15 PM
"I will need something that flares out " How about some cheap funnels from the Dollar Store? Russ

myxpykalix
01-10-2010, 09:58 PM
man you guys are thinking too high tech! Here is what i would do. Go get a 10 ft section of rain gutter from lowes. I thought the aluminum kind so you could bend the back over and attach it to the underside of the table so that the front lip stuck above the surface and caught the dust into the gutter. then have a downspout hole at the end of the gutter and brush it down to the end and into a bucket. Your solution costs les then $10.00!

Man, sometimes i amaze even myself with these flashes of brilliance! lol

coach
01-10-2010, 10:14 PM
good idea but the slatwall bit shoots dust out like nothing I have ever seen. It needs to be caught at the end of each cut.
Like I stated in the x I have an attachment, looks like a megaphone. It can handle 9" of cut width. Every 3 slats I move the stand.
In the Y I can't catch anything. But with you guys around I am sure something will be made eventually.
I would rather not even cut it but at 35.00 each I cannot turn it away. If I had cabinet jobs to fill my 50-60 hour weeks I would never cut another slatwall.

myxpykalix
01-10-2010, 10:33 PM
this was what i had envisioned with the gutter maybe i didn't illustrate it correctly, i just figure you can see what is going on inside my head...lol

jerry_stanek
01-11-2010, 06:14 AM
Mine just has an ell on the end of the vac line on either side mounted on the gantry set at the place where the slot is cut. It would move with the gantry and suck up the dust.

navigator7
01-11-2010, 09:31 AM
What about adding a propellor above the cutter bit so it disturbs the dust more and does get sucked up?

OK....I got my flack jacket on! Hit Me!

Jack...Was wondering....can you get gutters that install to our heads?

john_l
01-11-2010, 10:16 AM
David, Maybe rig up a little 2" pvc with a couple elbows to allow it drop down beside the gantry and then over along the X enough to finish with an elbow opening at right at the catch line. You can probably temporary clamp it to the gantry and just connect the flex hose from DC or a BIG shop vac. The open end could also be stepped up with a 2x3" (or larger) adapter if there is room. At $35 a sheet wholesale I know you dont want to spend a bunch but this is likely doable with minimal fittings and scraps of pipe. Sorry if I am dubbing anyones suggestion.