PDA

View Full Version : Sheet goods storage question

bahed
06-03-2007, 02:26 PM
I had a cable-drive CNC with a large, home-built, wooden frame that allowed me to easily store 4'x8' sheets underneath. I have limited space in my garage and the orientation of the old CNC was such that I could feed the goods under the vacuum piping system - but off of the floor - through the 4' side, and store about a 1-1/2 foot tall pile of material.

I am currently awaiting delivery on a new PRS Std. 4'x8' unit and I will be turning this new unit 90 degrees so I was wanting to know if you guys can tell me whether I can store full size sheet goods in from the 8' side or are there structural stabilizing components to the frame or other reasons that would keep me from using that area as a storage area.

kshores
06-03-2007, 07:48 PM
I'm also storing sheetgoods under my PRT96 Bot steel table but don't know if PRS table is same. Check Frank Leinbach's post "Vacuum Hoist Sheet Loader" in the ShopBot Accessories forum on loading sheetgoods.

bahed
06-03-2007, 10:08 PM
I'm sorry, I looked at that link, but it really didn't get to my question, which is: can you store - yes, by hand - a full 4'x8' sheet goods under a new PRS Std 48x96 ?

fleinbach
06-04-2007, 05:29 AM
Bret,

I looked closely at the specifications of the PRS tools and it appears you would be able to place sheets under it from any side. Here http://shopbottools.com/prsalpha.htm is a table that shows the cut area is 60" X 98" and that area is well inside of the tools footprint. They do not add the middle leg until the tool gets over 10' long. You might want to give Shopbot a call today to confirm but I believe you will have no problem.

gabriel_mckeagney
06-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Yes, you could store a certain amount of sheets, less than you might hope, but you will be better served using the space for a Vacuum system. Bigger priority!
Gabriel

bahed
06-04-2007, 10:54 PM
I did both with my old cable-drive system, and... Einstein observation of the day, there Gabe - yes the vac system would take a priority !

I am gathering that the new metal frame for the PRS Std will allow me to store some wood UNDERNEATH the vac/plenum system ?

bahed
06-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Sorry 'bout that Gabe. I musn't take my days frustrations out on the forum.

My apologies.