PDA

View Full Version : Which Bot do you suggest?

bud31069
07-19-2007, 12:44 PM
Hi All,
I am looking in to buying a ShopBot but I need some advice. I would be using my bot to do the following;

photo carving
relief carving
light sign work
moldings/trim
reproduction work
light cabinet work

I would like to get my startup costs to be as low as possible, but I dont want to be ordering a bigger bot within the next year.

I should also point out that wood working is a hobby at this point, but I would be ordering a Shopbot with the goal of turning my hobby into an income source.

Will a PRSstandard (96 x 48) meet my needs?
Should I order a spindle upgrade?
Will a PRSstandard perform well with an Indexer?

Thanks for the advice,
James

richards
07-19-2007, 01:14 PM
James,
ANY Shopbot will be good as a 'starter' machine. As you learn how to use it and as you learn where your market is, you'll be able to determine 'which' machine is best for you. At that point, if you've got the wrong machine, sell it and buy another. The money that you might lose on the sale will be made over many times in the learning value that you receive.

I have the PRT-Alpha 60x120, thinking that I needed it to cut 5x5 Baltic Birch as well as 4x8 sheet goods. It works great, but it is larger than I really need. Every design that I've drawn using Baltic Birch allows me to cut the sheet to a smaller size before routing, so even having the 60x120 is an 'unneeded' luxury - and sometimes a pain because it is LARGE.

I have a 3hp Colombo spindle on my machine, but I ran it with a PC7518 for the first year. I prefer the spindle, but using the PC would not be a terrible handicap. With earplugs and some adjustment to the cutting files the PC would do the job.

I have no experience with an indexer, but I can't imagine that you would have any special problems when using it with the PRS-Standard.

By the way, there is much to be said about having two Shopbots. A large machine to do the heavy stuff and a small machine to do all of the special stuff that light cabinet work requires. For instance, some parts require that the edge-banding be added before making a cut. Having a second (small) machine would simplify the work flow.

bud31069
07-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks Mike. You have given me plenty to think about.
I am leaning towards a standard with the idea that I will probably need to upgrade it as I go along.

James

jeffreymcgrew
07-19-2007, 04:45 PM
James, we pretty much do the kinda stuff you're talking about: www.becausewecan.org (http://www.becausewecan.org)

We only have a 'standard' PRT96 with a router, not a spindle. So we're doing everything you want to do with the 'lower end' model no problems.

Now, with that said, we have upgraded to the 4G controller. But I believe the newer 'standard' PRS uses the same thing there, so that's moot.

We didn't know anything about CNC before we ordered the bot. So the 'standard' is a great way to learn. As others here have said you can swap up as well later on if you do get more into production and need more speed.

As for the Indexer, I really wish we had one, but a friend of ours with a 'bot has one and while he's done some really cool demo projects with it, he has yet to use it much for actual jobs. You mileage may vary, but I'd just get started with the basic bot and then get the Indexer later if you need it. You can do a whole lot just with the basic machine, so...

andre
07-19-2007, 05:21 PM
James
My advise would be to spend the extra and buy the prs alpha and start with a router. For what you are doing, plus just starting with cnc, a router is a perfect start. I have a cabinet shop and I use a 3hp PC on my alpha and am quite happy with the results. I can upgrade anytime to a spindle which I may do at a later time. But a router will do everything you need and more. at 1/10th the cost of a spindle. I am using only part wizard now and it is suiting all my needs for now. I would start with that, get proficient at it and upgrade to other software that fits your growing needs. The alpha gives better resolution and feed rate options so its a wise upgrade in my opinion.

hope this helps!

Andre

bud31069
07-22-2007, 06:11 AM
Thanks for all of the help guys.

James

harryball
07-22-2007, 07:49 AM
James, have you visited a working bot yet? I see you're in Georgia near Perry. I'm sure someone would be glad to have you visit. I'm a little far away but you're welcome here too, I'm in McDonough. There is no replacement for a hands on look at one running, even the PRT Alphas like mine can give you a good reference. Seeing and hearing a spindle running is the only way to understand the difference.

Choice will always be a balance between wants and cash. While Andre is happy with the PC router I would not be. I'm running a 4 HP spindle and sacraficed having two Z axis in order to get it. I've never regretted having the spindle.

Robert

phil_o
07-22-2007, 12:12 PM
I teach high school woodworking. We've had a benchtop Shopbot for 4 years with a Makita variable speed router. I've never had to say no to a project because of the size of the table. Since the opening between the uprights (X axis) is wider than the 32" table and it is open ended in the Y axis you can work a much larger item than the 24"x32" work table. You may want to consider a spindle, they are MUCH quiter.

andre
07-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Spindles are much quiter and I hope to upgrade to one at some point. But a router gets the job done nicely for $350.00. It is a great starting point if you want manage your budget. You can push a Porter cable, not as much as a spindle but if you are just starting, there is going to be a learning curve. use the machine for a while and see where your needs lead you. You may decide that you need a spindle right away or maybe not for a while. You may decide to upgrade software right away which can easily cost thousands. Then there is hold down systems that require budget considerations also.
If a spidle costed around $1000.00 the choice would be much simpler. Plus there are a varity of spindles to consider. Do you buy the cheapest?, or mostpowerful? I think a mistake a lot of businesses make is buying to much to quick. My advise is to stick with the basics and upgrade as you want and can.
If you got the cash go for it.

Gary Campbell
07-22-2007, 01:33 PM
James..
Only you can answer your question, and having gone through the same ones a few months back, I can tell you this: You are able to upgrade virtually every part on the machine. There is a market in this community for most of the parts you have upgraded from. That being said, you say woodworking is a hobby. What is the grade of the rest of your equipment? The router /spindle choice is budget driven. When you have the workload... you will know you need the spindle. The Alpha series is what you want if you are going to be using it professionally. But as a hobbyist, you will be just fine with the Standard. So.... get what you NEED... and add all that you can afford.
Gary

bud31069
08-01-2007, 02:42 PM
Thanks again for all of the information. I can see that I am going to enjoy being a part of this select community of people. You have all been very helpful.

James
p.s. R Ball dont be surprised when you get an email from me taking you up on your offer.

harryball
08-01-2007, 09:22 PM
Not a problem, so long as it is before or after the first week in September... I'll be going batty that week at Bat Fest in Austin Texas and likely visting a few botters in the area to say hello.

Robert