PDA

View Full Version : What is the best cutter to use for planing......

maginter
07-15-2008, 03:00 PM
What is the best cutter to use for planing the surface of the vacuum table top? I am redoing my table and I have several spots that are uneven in the middle and need to be surfaced. I need to plane the surface and want to know what you guys are using. Obviously, smaller diameter allow for a more forgiving cut if the Z axis is off plum, but I am really not interested in running the Bot for days to get a flat table.

TIA,

Mark

thewoodcrafter
07-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Use the same bit you use for surfacing your spoil board.

Gary Campbell
07-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Mark...
I use the 2.5" from Amana with replaceable inserts. Yes, you must make sure your Z is plumb, but it is worth it. We surface the Trupan spoilboard @ 12K rpm, up to .050 depth and 5-8 ips on a PRSa
Gary

david_white
07-15-2008, 06:48 PM
How do you plum the z I dont see any thing in the book I have a prs.

Thanks Dave

Gary Campbell
07-15-2008, 07:55 PM
David..
After you surface the table run your hand over the surface. If the tool left ridges that are high enough to "catch a nail", as Brady says, you should plumb the Z. If not you are good to go.

Assuming that your Z extrusion rollers are properly adjusted, you can fine tune the router/spindle by loosening the bolts holding the mounting plate between the router/spindle and the Z extrusion by tilting the mounting plate slightly in the direction needed. I usually leave the 2 bottom bolts snug and make very small adjustments by tapping the top with a plastic hammer.

You can only adjust in the +/- Y directions. Left/Right looking at the router/spindle from the -X end of the table. If your cutter path is high on the left and lower on the right, tip the top of the bracket to the left, or visa versa.

I use David Buchsbaum's sufacing routine and only surface in the X direction. This makes a better surface than the rectangle clearance more commonly used. A side benefit of this file is when using large diameter bits as I do, you only need to make these small adjustments in only 1 direction.
Hope this helps, Gary

david_white
07-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Thanks Gary

Dave

maginter
07-15-2008, 09:24 PM
Hey Gary -

What cutter are you using???

Gary Campbell
07-15-2008, 09:44 PM
Mark...
The 2 1/2" from Amana. Here is the Amana page, lots of sources out there if you google the part #. http://www.amanatool.com/bits-fv/rc-2257.html
Gary

kirkkelsey
07-16-2008, 10:40 AM
I have been drooling over their latest cutter and wondering if it was worth the expense:

http://www.amanatool.com/cncroutingdetails/rc-2252.html