PDA

View Full Version : Laser + position device

dubliner
01-21-2008, 01:53 PM
I found these on the web, any pros or cons or others you might go with? Second link is one in use.
http://www.apinex.com/ret2/cr60an.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc-9gTFj-y4

geneb
01-21-2008, 06:54 PM
The laser is nice, but I want the controller! I couldn't make out what he called it. Does anyone have a link?

g.

german
01-21-2008, 07:06 PM
here is the link to that controller:
contourdesign.com

rbarrow
01-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Try this link for the controller...

http://www.amazon.com/Contour-Design-ShuttlePRO-CONTOUR-DESIGN/dp/tech-data/B00027X2YM/ref=de_a_smtd

knight_toolworks
01-21-2008, 11:59 PM
I debated on getting one of the controllers. but decided a little keyboard would be more practical.
but I have been interested in the laser I can't find one in the US so far.

geneb
01-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the link.

Steve, I've got one of these:
http://www.lasercenteredgefinder.com/

It works very well! I use the Mini version with a 1/4" shank.

g.

garyb
01-22-2008, 11:24 AM
I have been using a shuttle pro for about 1 1/2 years, one of the best add on's I've done. Extended with 32' of usb I can operate my machines from either end of the table or walk around it.

The latest add on, which I took to Ed's Camp is the optical viewer. Rather than a laser this is a simple usb camera with plug in which adds rotational cross hairs, cutter dia, axis position plus more.
Just another option.

knight_toolworks
01-22-2008, 01:01 PM
well that looks interesting. what plug in are you using. my question is using the superzero I know if something happens I can get exactly back to zero every time. I wonder if using the laser or camera would let you do that? since your eyeballing it?

garyb
01-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Steve this particular plug in is running under mach but there's no reason you can't adapt it to SB3 as well.
As far as getting back to zero, I run homing switches, start of each day and/or if something happens one click and the machine reference's all home to the switches, not a problem.

ljdm
01-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Any more info on the optical viewer?

geneb
01-23-2008, 10:16 AM
I built my own quick & dirty 3 axis homing plate based on that insanely cool super zero fixture.
You can see it used here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENoIdEcxeFc

This was before I was informed I didn't need to use the grounding clip since I had a spindle.

g.

german
01-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Gary can you please share de information how to get the optical viewer, or usb camera, and where to get the software for it.
i'm trying google search with no luck, i belive is a very good add on for the bot.
thank you.

German.

stevem
01-28-2008, 07:17 AM
Camera software.

http://www.miketreth.mistral.co.uk/centrecam.htm

garyb
01-28-2008, 09:06 AM
German, the one I'm using is by Arnie M. there is a story in the latest digital machinist magazine on it.
Steve's link is another good one you can download and use plus it gives a good explaination on mounting the camera. If you don't want to buy your own camera and make a mouunt send me an email and I will forward Arnie's address to you

german
01-28-2008, 08:30 PM
Thank you guys for the reply i really aprecciate that.

German

knight_toolworks
01-28-2008, 10:22 PM
I just got my laser from http://www.lasercenteredgefinder.com/main.html
man is the beam small. I have a super zero and I really like it but I can't get it to to run on the newest sb software. there is just some wacky thing with my machine that keeps it from working right. but also the laser is great for other setups too like checking on a jig to see that it is square. it will be easier then using a piece of drill rod. plus doing air runs you can see where the cut will be far easier then using a bit.
it's hard to get a picture of of the small size of the dot but it is very small you can see it in the middle of the bar.

sailfl
01-29-2008, 03:43 AM
Gene,

Why don't you need a ground clip because you have a spindle?

handh
01-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Steve,

I just ordered me the laser setup device, I think that will work great. Have you are any other used or seen this mini fully functional keyboard. It comes in a usb or bluetooth style.

There website is www.frogpad.com (http://www.frogpad.com)

Bluetooth® FrogPadtm adds wireless capability to the flagship product. Bluetooth® FrogPadtm is the missing piece for successful mobile products. What is intriguing about FrogPadtm is the multiple form factors in which it can be embedded. In an effort to assist OEMs interested in developing their own Bluetooth® FrogPadtm keyboards and headsets, FrogPadtm and Gennum will also unveil the licensing model of the single chip solution, which will incorporate FrogPadtm’s unique algorithm with the Bluetooth® Human Interface Device (HID) profile. The HID profile includes an inventory of devices that inform Bluetooth® radio transmitter how to communicate with a specific device. By incorporating the HID profile, FrogPadtm provides OEMs the assurance that FrogPadtm products are Bluetooth®-enabled right out-of-the-box.

“The biggest obstacle to widespread adoption of portable messaging in the U.S. is the clunky text input.” says Timothy Captain, of Laptop Magazine. The Bluetooth® technology positions FrogPadtm as the potential standard for mobile wireless Internet. It is compact and portable with full-sized keys and has total functionality of regular keyboard. There is no other competition.

Product Specifications

Gennum Bluetooth® wireless technology enabled solution
Bluetooth® HID profile
2.4 Ghz operating frequency
10m (30 feet) range
Integrated rechargeable battery (via USB)
Portable with all the functions of a full-sized keyboard
Single-handed use with full-sized keys
Compatible with devices using the Bluetooth ® HID profile
3” x 5” compact size
Dimensions: 5.60"" x 3.73"" x 0.66"" (0.35"" Corner Radius)
U.S. Patents 5,793,312; 6,348,878. U.S. Patents and
International Patents Pending

handh
01-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Here is a little better picture

knight_toolworks
01-29-2008, 12:04 PM
I think that would drive me nuts. the way my fingers fumble around as it is I would be hitting the wrong keys all of the time.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1819035&Sku=S144-1028&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&CMP=OTC-GOOGLEBASE

geneb
01-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Nils - the ground connection happens because the spindle and it's components are not shielded from the ShopBot frame ground. At least that's my take on it. I've been wrong before.

g.

henrik_o
01-31-2008, 05:57 PM

This is kinda sketchy, but as you can see above I’ve set up a saitek joystick as a remote controller. I use AutoHotKeys freeware to provide input to the SB control software.

Right now, I have only bothered to set up the following inputs:

However, once I get around to it, in addition to the above controls I plan to include the following;

Joystick #triggerbutton: Enter key

Joystick #2: (button between my current Z-/Z+ buttons) Jog modifier key

Joystick #5: (button left to POV/Hat) Nudge Z-

Joystick #6: (button right to POV/Hat) Nudge Z+

Joystick POV/Hat: (1 stick - 4 states) Nudge X+; X-; Y+; Y-

Joystick #7-12: (on the base of the joystick) calling custom program 1-6 (z-zero etc)

That leaves main axis twist and the joystick z axis; not sure what fun one could have with those.

nailzscott
02-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Heinrik, I have used autohotkey to automate many pc tasks for software I implement, so I am interested in how you went about interfacing the joystick and the code you used. Is there anything you can share? Thanks.

henrik_o
02-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Scott,

My approach has been very simple (it took 10 minutes to have a preliminary solution that could be tested) and I'd be happy to share.

However, due to the direct interaction with the machine and the possibility that things could go wrong --such as a virtual key getting 'stuck' which is a real worry-- until I have integrated a foolproof 'panic button' solution (looking at it, probably a permanent registry edit) I'm not comfortable sharing actual files, since it is imo imperative that each user extensively test their setup on their own.

In any case, here are the steps as I did it.

1. Install the remote in question and make sure it's working properly (drivers etc) in the device manager.

2. In the AutohotKey Help File, search for "joystick". One of the top results should be a page named Remapping a Joystick to Keyboard or Mouse

3. Under the section header Important Notes there's a link to a script that detects/numbers the keys on the remote. Download or copy-paste this into a script and run it, noting down all keys.

4. Go back to the Remapping... page. There are three methods for sending keystrokes listed. I have found Method 2 to be the one that works for me; I got stuck inputs using Method 3. Experiment with these using very slow move settings on the 'bot, so you have time to stop it via the keyboard if a joystick input gets stuck. I have at least a couple of hours of remoting time on my method (basically nr 2 with some minor modification) without any problems what so ever, but one needs to test this extensively.

5. If you are using a joystick or controller that has analog axises, there is 2 methods for using those to drive key input listed at the bottom of the page. I have used the first one as listed in the help file in my script and it has performed flawlessly. Still, precautions as per above.

6. Test, test, test.

All in all, I feel very confident about my script and it has worked without hiccups so far. However, until I can integrate a panic button I'm still not 100% at peace. I really want something damned near foolproof but haven't had the time to devote to that.

henrik_o
02-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Also, for those that read the above I'd like to add why I chose to use AutoHotkey (I think Scott is already sold on it
) rather than the software that usually comes with peripherals that also allows for key remapping.

First, it allows for a level of extension and control that I have not found in any other device scripting software. You can do some pretty amazing things with it, it is much much more than just a key remapper.

Second, while I have found that it does take some time and effort to test AHK scripts (and they can be quite buggy in the beginning), once you do that I find them far more reliable than bundled software.

As an aside, a couple of years ago I played a lot of Battlefield 2, mostly piloting. I tried several software solutions to enhance the piloting experience -- BF2 had an annoying habit of demanding the user to switch back and forth to the keyboard for several time-sensitive tasks. All solutions I tested failed, except AutoHotkey. Yes, getting scripts right did take some serious effort, but in the end I found it was rock solid once you got it right, and it allowed for some serious automation of fairly complex joystick-keyboard-mouse-joystick sequences, in a game that's extremely time critical and quite a resource hog.

It takes a bit of time, but the foundations of the environment (and it really is a full environment rather than just a simple script app) are in my experience state of the art, and what you can do with it is nothing short of amazing.

nailzscott
02-09-2008, 09:20 AM
Henrik,
Why couldn't a standard usb numeric keypad be used for this purpose. Another question: On the joystick idea, couldn't you use autohotkey to recognize the trigger, so that it would be your fail-safe. Maybe code it so that the trigger would have to be pulled before any x, y, or z action could take place. This would at least force a user to have a finger on the trigger before initiating movement. You may have already considered these things; but I have just been thinking about what all autohotkey could be used for - so I thought I'd comment.

henrik_o
02-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Scott,

quote:Why couldn't a standard usb numeric keypad be used for this purpose.
I'm not sure what purpose you mean. Yes, a standard keypad will work as a remote, any peripheral that can give input could work.

quote:On the joystick idea, couldn't you use autohotkey to recognize the trigger, so that it would be your fail-safe.
Not really. The issue is that one common fear with all input devices: not registering an input. In this case, the fear is that the input to start to move registers, e.g "keyX Down", but then it fails to register the "keyX Up" input, hence it will continue to move, and we have a 'stuck key' scenario. If that happens, I would want a method that irrevocably --bar some total system meltdown-- ends movement.

This problem is of course in no way unqiue to using AutoHotkey, it is one common to practically all peripherals and indeed the software that is driven by them. I would say that AHK is much better than most bundled keyremap software, but it is not perfect.

One can see this in the SB3 software too. I don't want to give anyone the jitters, but I have noted that it sometimes misses key input -- it is very rare except for one instance, the Escape key*. On my system, SB3 quite often fails to register an Escape keypress when in Keypad mode, which is kind of a bummer since that's basically your software 'panic button' in keypad mode. However, I have never seen SB3 display 'stuck key' syndrome, nor has anyone else -- I hope, so the by far biggest worry is not there.

-------------
*) I've used at least three different keyboards extensively, and all of them show this tendency to miss Escape keypresses.