PDA

View Full Version : How did i do this??

myxpykalix
03-02-2008, 02:36 PM
I have problems with my memory (and emails) so i don't remember who gave me the "formula" for creating this finish.

I know (because i found the can) that you start with a base of mustard yellow flat enamel as a primer coat.
Past that i'm lost..
Can anyone look at these and give me an idea of what the top coat is and whether it is latex or enamel, oil or waterbase and what stain it might be? thanks

scottcox
03-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Danny Ray is the master of that finish. He gave some more details in this thread.....

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/312/19456.html

....but my attempt at it looked pretty dismal. Any other pointers, Danny?

joe_manor
03-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Looks like a Minwax Chestnut601 gel stain on top.

myxpykalix
03-02-2008, 06:04 PM
thanks...hi ho, hi ho its off to off to lowes i go...

dray
03-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Heya..

Its a pretty easy method once you wrap your head around it

first sand the mdf with some 200-300 grit paper.
then seal it with laquer or sanding sealer

sand a lil bit more then seal again

then paint on your base color, let it completely dry then seal again with laquer or sanding sealer.

Sand a little bit with 200-300 grit

seal it again.

The better your sealing coats are the better your stain is going to come out. If there are bumps and if its rough to the touch your stain will be blotchy.

Then finally stain it like a piece of wood. Test it on the back or something so you know how long to let the stain sit, then wipe it or rag it to desired effect.

After it is totally dry seal it or add what ever exterrior/interrior sealer/laquer you want and viola

myxpykalix
03-04-2008, 01:03 AM
Thanks to scott i found the old post where you explained it to me originally. I went and applied the mustard yellow and let it dry for a day. I then applied the rosewood stain. What i found is that i got a more even coat over the plywood box of the blanket chest then the carved mdf lid. With all the ornamentation of the lid there was no way i was going to be able to sand all the surfaces. What i found worked good for me was I took a brush and applied the stain and then let it sit for a while. Then i took the same brush that was semi dry and brushed over the surfaces again and that tended to make the finish blend in better. I'll post some pics in show and tell when its done.
Something else i learned from this. If you are going to paint/stain a 3d carving you better uese a sprayer as opposed to a brush!