PDA

View Full Version : 3d Sign - Aspire

jimboy
03-03-2010, 02:55 PM
This is a 3d house sign I did with Aspire and my Buddy 48. Its on oak and is hand painted by my artist (daughter). I hope you all like it?
By the way, this is my first post on this forum.
Jim

billp
03-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Great introduction...Nice job !

dakers
03-03-2010, 03:13 PM
no thorns in this for sure

jimboy
03-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks Bill,
Its been awhile getting to this point. Lots of scrap and a couple of bits and about a year of practice.

mikeacg
03-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Welcome to the forum, James! Thanks for sharing!

Mike

widgetworks_unlimited
03-03-2010, 11:48 PM
I didn't find my way to the ShopBot Camps and this forum until I had a couple of years of "CNC learning curve" under my belt.

Even with a fair bit of experience at that point, one of the things I enjoyed the most about meeting other CNCers was finding folks who understood the highs and lows of creating with these machines.

Completing an awesome project - high
"Lots of scrap and a couple of bits" - lows
"...and about a year of practice" - Par for the Course!

Keep up the good work - it gets (mostly) easier day by day.

wberminio
03-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Very nice job James.
Your daughter is very talented.

cartar
03-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Very nice. I am at one of the lows. Which parameter on the v-carve toolpath routine do you change to get the tool to go deeper? I have output but it barely scratches the surface, pun intended.

blackhawk
03-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Alan - On a V-carve toolpath, the depth is controlled by two things. The angle of your tool and the line width of your text. Say that you are V-carving the letter "I" for simplicity. If you use a 45º V bit it will cut deeper than a 90º V bit. The 45º V bit has to plunge much deeper in order to reach the edges of the lines making up the letter.

jimboy
03-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Alan, Brad is correct on both counts for V-carve, but I have found I can cheat a little bit if I use a start depth of say 0.02 You can quickly go too far using this param and must be careful. The result of too deep a start depth will be mushy letters. Just my experience.

ghostcreek
03-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Nice work James. That V-Bit trick is a one I have used. New guys pay attention to his statement:
"You can quickly go too far using this param and must be careful. The result of too deep a start depth will be mushy letters."
This is very true, take care here, but it does work. I had tried telling the program my z-zero plate it was a different thickness to get it to go deeper. But using a small start depth depth in the toolpath is better.

bob_s
03-05-2010, 12:18 PM
I have a signature file that I cut into the back of my pieces. On occasion it cuts a bit shallow.
In the shopbot software hit V to open Values then A for axis values. then it is a simple matter of adding .02 to the current Z value to have the machine cut 20 thousandths deeper.
I did a few tests on some scrap to see what the relative difference was, and now I have a pretty good visual reference for the depth change.Adding to the value actually sets the Z zero point that much below the surface - I did it backwards the first few times - sometimes a slow learner!

mikeacg
03-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Great tip, Bob! I'll have to see if I can remember to do that!

Learn something new every day on this forum!!!

Mike