PDA

View Full Version : Indexer stuff

rnels
05-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Here is some of the things I made with my indexer over last winter - plan to use some of them as lamps. Have been using birch logs which I cut from dead trees on my property for testing.

br928
05-11-2008, 09:49 PM
Very nice. Did you write the code yourself? Tell us what processes you used.

rnels
05-12-2008, 08:03 AM
Thanks Stan. Yes I wrote the program myself. You can check it out at: http://www.nelsonsdesignssp.com/Nelsons%20Designs%20Download%20Page.htm

I'm late for work but if you have any questions let me know.

Randy

rnels
05-12-2008, 06:52 PM
The lamps took anywhere from 3 - 8 hours to finish. The ball in cage took about 5 hours using 1/2 inch ballnose to round. 1/2 inch endmill to form the 6 sides. 1/4 inch deep end mill to rough the ball out. 1/4 inch ball nose to finish the ball. I used ArtCam Pro to create most of the 3D effects.

My program will do the facets and tapers without any modeling program. To add detail to the tapers does require 3D software. The triangle is a tapered 3 sided facet. The base with taper up then taper down 5 sided was done this way too.

The star was just done with a 2D model. Using 5 sides.

The vase type lamp bases were done with a profile pattern overlayed with a 3D model rough then finish.

The column with tapered bottom and top was done with only a basic 2D model and the taper part of my program.

The spiral was done with a 2D model with angled vectors.

Please let me know if you try it and have problems or success. I leave it as a beta because I try to keep updating and improving it which is why there is an end date so an updated version can be downloaded periodically. If I get no feedback I can't fix it.

Randy

scottcox
05-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Cool stuff Randy! I wish I could put mine to use more often.

rnels
05-15-2008, 07:52 AM
Thanks Scott - it does take time to figure out the models and run them on the bot. I don't have many clients yet for Shopbot work so have lots of time to practice.

Randy