PDA

View Full Version : Louvered Doors

neal_schwartz
11-02-2008, 12:29 PM
I needed louvered doors for air flow to a furnace.
I cut the slots easily on the Shopbot out of
Eastern Hard Figured Maple to match rest of
woodwork in house.

magic
11-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Looks nice... The window and door guys a few doors down got a job like this and they did it by hand.
They set up a swing arm with a router, clamped the rail the the edge of the table and moved it down for every cut. Then they had to mirror the 4 foot swing arm and clamp and unclamp to get the opposite side.

All in all it took them half a day for the setup and 3 hours to cut slots into a set of rails.

Some of the slots were a bit off... They do some of the best work I've ever seen... but I had to tell them.... the shopbot would have knocked that out in a third the time and every part would have been identical.

myxpykalix
11-02-2008, 04:33 PM
that is beautiful work. How long, after you got it up and installed, did you stand there and admire your work?
For me it's getting harder and harder to reach around and pat myself on the back, so good job!

neal_schwartz
11-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Pat myself on the back? Of course I did. My wife loved it too. I was actually astounded how fantastic and accurate the whole thing came out. I stacked all four door stiles on edge, clamped them together and let the ShopBot cut all the slots and mortises for the rails. The trickiest part was getting all those parts lined up to glue it all together. Thanks for the comments.