PDA

View Full Version : Well I took the plunge

menewfy
05-09-2007, 06:26 PM
I would like to see if there are any folks on here that could set up a couple of files for me to use right away.

now for the more detailed information.

As mentioned on this site before I own (soon to be past tense) a compucarve and I am very dissatisfied with the machine (not the people at he company just he product).

My partner and I have decided to return it to sears in watertown if any of you are interested in a large paper weight although you folks most likely would not consider it large at all. anyway I found one that I am going to pick up in maine next weekend and I have a problem.

I was and am still intending to go to a huge car show and swap meet about three hours from here the following weekend and I do not expect that I will learn what I need to learn in time to produce some nice peices to bring with me to acquire more business. So I am looking for someone who can take a couple of images that I will provide and turn them into files that are ready for the machine so that I can show them to potential customers.

Now I want to be very clear I know people on ehre are very nice, but I would not expect this to be done for free. perhaps two or three images so that when I get the shopbot home I can run them off and take them with me. I would be willing to send you the images and you let me know how much it would cost me for you to just transform them into ready files in the right format.

if I have not been clear please feel free to email me any questions and we can go about it that way.

thanks in advance as I do need the help.

oh yeah and one more thing

BYE BYE COMPUCARVE!!!!

myxpykalix
05-09-2007, 06:55 PM
Send me some pics and i'll help you. Several people went way out of their way to help me when i first started so this is my way to pay back.

menewfy
05-09-2007, 07:24 PM
thanks jack I appreciate it

Tim

menewfy
05-15-2007, 07:57 AM
I am wondering if anyone else would be willing to try and set these files up for me? If someone knows how to set up the feed rate to maximize the machine I would appreciate it,

Tim

den73160
05-15-2007, 10:18 AM
Tim, I'll give it a try. Send me something that you would like me to try.

richards
05-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Timothy,
Use the Chip Load Calculator in SB3 (tools menu) to get a starting point for feed speeds.

I usually specify a chipload of 0.010 for lumber, 0.015 for MDF and 0.025 for particle board. Those are just numbers to get you started. You'll have to look at the cuts to see if they're too rough, if so, reduce the numbers a little. On the other hand, if the cuts are too smooth with almost a sanded feel or if they have any kind of shine, then you've probably selected a number that is too fine. You want good healthy chips - not dust. Chips pull the heat away from the cutter. Dust burns up cutters.

With a 2-flute cutter, and a desired chipload of 0.015", the calculator gives a feed speed of 7.5 ips. If that is too fast for your machine, a 1-flute cutter would allow you to cut at a feed rate of 3.75-ips.

Once you get a feel for how it all works, keep notes and then use your personal experience to adjust the feed speeds to work with your cutters and the type of cut that you're making. As others have pointed out, if you cut a lot of curves and circles, the SB3 ramping may limit your speed to 2-ips, which is necessary to keep you from loosing steps, but it also means that you will have to use a lower RPM setting on your router/spindle to keep from burning cutters.