PDA

View Full Version : Dxf thumbnail viewer?

myxpykalix
11-21-2009, 01:37 AM
is there such a free pgm out there? I have tried other things like thumbsplus and that did not work.

bill
11-21-2009, 08:01 AM
Jack,
This is what I use and works well for me. Need the associated plugins and ghost.
http://www.irfanview.com/

dana_swift
11-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Jack just drag the dxf onto a partworks or aspire window.. it will preview the image just fine.

And they are tools you probably already have.

If you want a thumbnail, shrink the "drawing" and use control-alt-printscreen, then go to "paint" and paste. That is one way at least.

D

adrianm
11-21-2009, 02:23 PM
A quick DXF/DWG viewer I use is the free Brava! one.

I couldn't find anything that worked as a Windows preview handler so I ran all my DXF files through the Brava viewer with an AutoIT macro to save them as JPEGS.

I do a similiar thing with all the 2.5D files I have (STL, CRV3D, V3M, V3D) with the relevant Vectric programs.

myxpykalix
11-21-2009, 05:49 PM
I use the brava viewer but i wanted something that was like the windows viewer for jpegs where you could click on a folder and look at all the files as thumbnails and not have to click on them individually. I have hundreds of dxfs and i don't want to try to make individual pics of each. With the brava viewer you can capture a jpeg view of each file but i just want a thumbnail viewer for dxf's if there is such a animal out there. I'm pretty sure i had irfan viewer from years ago that didn't work bill can you open a folder with dxf's and see thumbnails with it? I'm sure i probably didn't have the associated plugins, ect.

nailzscott
11-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Jack,
Here is a link to the one I use.
http://ibrowser.fcodersoft.com/features/index.htm
I think it works like you want. It views multiple types of files, including dxf's in a window. Here is an example of some dxf's in one of my folders.
The picture here is a lot uglier than you would normally see, since I downsized the image for this posting; but you can get the idea.

myxpykalix
11-22-2009, 03:07 AM
scott,
all links for the program above do not work. No luck for anything from Cnet but i found it on download.com and it works great, that is exactly what i was looking for....thanks!

chiloquinruss
11-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks Scott! Thank you for a great post/link. I love this forum. Great viewer, I needed it last month but it is now on my desktop and ready to roll. Thanks again and thanks Jack for asking!
Russ

bob_s
11-23-2009, 09:55 AM
Scott
thanks - that viewer will save me an awful lot of time hunting for files that I named poorly! It is a great program, and free doesn't hurt either.

Bob

jimmya
11-24-2009, 12:23 PM
It's to bad it won't work with Vista, or at least I can't get it to work.

myxpykalix
11-24-2009, 03:00 PM
I think its probably the operator not the system.
lol.
Mine works with windows 7, what is it doing or not doing? I seem to recall when i tried to install it the first time i got some error message saying it didn't install some componnent. I tried it a few times till it did install. I wish i could be less vaugue...

geometree
11-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Scott, thanks for the great link, nice way to browse files.

adrianm
11-25-2009, 03:42 AM
I couldn't get it to work on Vista or Windows 7 without setting it to run in XP compatability mode.

It's a shame it doesn't seem to work with AI/EPS files. I've got thousands of those and only a hundred or so DXF's.

I know IrfanView can do AI/EPS but I'd much prefer one program.

Might have to bite the bullet and get the old programming hat back on again one of these days.