PDA

View Full Version : Glue-Up techniques - anyone use salt?

rcnewcomb
01-06-2009, 01:22 PM
I was reading another forum that was discussing glue-up techniques. This paragraph caught my eye: quote:One thing that you will encounter if you haven't done large glue ups is joint creep. The boards WILL slip around under clamping pressure. This becomes less of a problem with experience, but I keep a salt shaker handy and sprinkle a few grains on the surface at the ends just before I place them together. This keeps the boards from slipping when clamping pressure is applied and is totally harmless to the glue joint. Cabinet makers have been doing this as long as glue and salt has existed, I've seen some ancient references to the practice.
Does this sould like a good idea?
Anyone using this method?
Thoughts?

khaos
01-06-2009, 01:59 PM
I use this when making multi wood layups for knife handles butcher block etc.

Bonus Tip:
(Salt is also good shaken on your drink napkin to keep the napkin from sticking to the mug whilst enjoying some cool adult beverage)

myxpykalix
01-06-2009, 03:03 PM
This has been one of my dilemas where I guess i over tighten and you come back in a few hours and find your boards have slipped somewhat. I'll have to take a few packets of salt from mcdonalds out to the shop and try that next time. Good tip!