PDA

View Full Version : How can I do what the CarveWright does on my bot?

ed_lang
03-22-2006, 08:04 PM
I bet you have seen the CarewWright and know it can take a graphic and carve it without knowing anything about CAD/CAM. So, how can I do the same thing on my shopbot? I have been cutting 2D up to this point but hope I don't have to buy one of these machines to do the fancy fun stuff quickly.

gerald_d
03-22-2006, 11:52 PM
www.carvewright.com (http://www.carvewright.com/)

mikejohn
03-23-2006, 12:48 AM
Buy ready made 3D patterns and build your own library.
The CarveWright doesn't appear to allow you to create your own patterns, but has a library of patterns and text.
If you have a ShopBot, you are already way ahead of the CarveWright.

Which is what I think Gerald was saying when he pointed towards the website

...........Mike

keith_blaine
03-23-2006, 05:41 AM
The Carvewright is a big hunk of plastic. I think a lot of the money pays for their software, which makes it seem like a great, easy-to-use machine. The problem is that the clipart library is limited, and most people today think that kind of carving looks cheesey. Frankly, I think that machine is a $2000 joke.

If you want to easily carve out stuff from drawings, check out http://www.vectric.com/. It'll probably output to G-code which Shopbot 3 should be able to convert. A much more expensive route would be to get a hold of Artcam Pro. Better software, but at 10X the cost.

zeykr
03-23-2006, 09:42 AM
Take a look at www.vectorart3d.com (http://www.vectorart3d.com). You can purchase 3d reliefs and with millwizard or with the inexpensive 3d carving software that vectric (www.vectric.com (http://www.vectric.com)) is coming out with for vectorart3d you can carve the reliefs on your shopbot.

mike_annetts
03-28-2006, 11:40 PM
Has anyone here seen the carvewright in action. For the price it seems to do quite a bit. Just wondering about its durability and any other drawbacks

tony_mac
03-29-2006, 07:20 AM
Keith,

Just a quick note to confirm that VCarve Wizard and PhotoVCarve both include a ShopBot postprocessor (inch & metric) that outputs a SBP toolpath file. So no need to save and convert g-code.

Thanks for the positive support.

Tony

earld
03-29-2006, 10:49 AM
I just purchased both the Vectric products. They are both excellent. Don't under-estimate what can be done with a ShopBot and the Vectric software, both in creativity and profit. There are no bounds to what you will be able to accomplish.
Earl

paco
03-29-2006, 11:18 AM
Well, I don't know about you guys, but the above Tony's post demonstrate quite interesting capabilities. The rendering make it very easy to sell projects...

rookie432
03-29-2006, 02:48 PM
carvewright drawbacks:
Currently anable to adjust either feed or speed.
Cannot setup your own bit geometries.
3" max cut depth even with 5" max material acceptance.
Software issues:
Only able to use their pre-loaded carvings.
Post processor is proprietary.
Cannot import .eps or.dxf or any other line drawing. Just bitmaps for now. You Must create line drawings within their software package.
Automated tabbing-means the tabs will just land where they land.If its on an inside corner get your rasp file out.
Promising things I see.
They do have a unique ability to drag and drop relief carvings, stretch, rotate and... the big kicker...weld multiple carvings together. As well as overlap and layer. They also have an o.k. bitmap to relief converter. Nothing that I think Tony couldn't handle...hint hint hint ;)

Bill

drodda
03-29-2006, 05:57 PM
I have purchased the photo V-carve from Tony. It works just as stated on their site. I was cutting within the first hour the day I bought it. I have future plans to buy the v-carve wizard also but have found that no matter how great the software it still takes time to learn and use these programs. If Tony could package let's say 30 hours a day timing into his package that would allow me greater time to use the programs? I mean as long as we are begging for features?

paco
03-29-2006, 06:47 PM
That can be a challenge to code...

Join the VETRIC forum for any help.

earld
03-29-2006, 07:15 PM
Check out the Vectric video tutorials. If you know you're way around Part Wizard, you'll be running V Carve within a couple of hours, if that long.
Earl

superior
03-29-2006, 07:49 PM
Just prior to hosting Camp Shopbot Oklahoma Style, I purchased both the vectric software packages. I use Flexi Sign Pro to create my files for signs, etc. Just for funnies, I created a small file re: Welcome to Camp ShopBot Oklahoma Style in commercial script type style. I welded all the text together, sized it, eported it (DXF) to VCW. I did not read the instructions (what-read instructions?)just followed the tutorial information. In less than five minutes the file was loaded and ready to cut. I used a 90 degree bit and cut into some scrap .5" plywood. Perfect results, first time. I then created a "camp sign" and cut it all with the VCW. Too bad I didn't have time to totally finish it prior to camp beginning. However, I think all the campers will attest to the quality of the cut. This is my way of stating how easy the VCW is to learn. Those who know me best will not hesitate to agree with me: I am a computer idiot. Ask Bill P., or James Booth.
In other words, do not overestimate the difficulty in learning this software. The tutorial is excellent. And so is the product.
Doug

Nic (Unregistered Guest)
03-30-2006, 06:20 AM
Is this vwizzard thread or ....the one thing I would like to know more about carvwright is the quick tool change feature .

ed_lang
03-30-2006, 08:08 AM
Sears has the QuickRout quick change adapters for 1/2" and 1/4". I have not seen them in person only looking at the Sears website. They look plastic to me. I did email the CarveWright folks and was told that the QuickRoute was not up to the stress of a ShopBot and they did not suggest I use them.

All that said, has anyone else used them or anything like it? I sure could use something like this.

zeykr
03-30-2006, 09:49 AM
Watch out for the sears quickchange system. Works ok for small bits with small slow cuts, but put a half inch bit in and put a little stress on it and the parts will bounce off the walls in your shop. You don't need to ask how I know this.....

ed_lang
03-30-2006, 10:16 AM
Thanks Ken.

I will forget that idea till someone makes a strong quick change manual tool changer that I can afford.

No need to stop at Sears on the way home tonight.

mikejohn
03-30-2006, 10:21 AM
Nic,
This thread is "How can I do what the CarveWright does on my shopbot".
That's what all the alternative posts (including the Vcarve Wizard ones) answer.
Now if the thread had been a question asking about the specifications of the CarveWright, your objection would have been valid.

...........Mike

Nic (Unregistered Guest)
03-30-2006, 11:54 AM

superior
03-31-2006, 08:40 AM
Mike: Very well said. I am in total agreement with you. When I am seeking information, I am always willing to read/listen to any input. Just one word, or phrase, could save my bacon. As we all know, this forum is the life blood of SB users world wide. I can not image being without it.
I trust Nic understands how valuable it is, and how very willingingly information is exchanged.
I have used a Jacobs quick change on my 'bot for quite a while.That is, until I missed a decimal point and shoved it into a 1" Z move, instead of a .1" move. Crunch. I have since purchased two more, just haven't taken the time to install them. I experienced absolutely no problem with it, they are very well balanced. Now you have my $.02 worth.
Doug

ed_lang
03-31-2006, 12:04 PM
Doug,

I would like more details on the Jacobs quick change chuck you have used!

I'll go goggle for one but want to make sure I get the right thing on the first swing.

drodda
03-31-2006, 06:00 PM
What HE ^^^^^^^ Said!

Nic (Unregistered Guest)
04-01-2006, 07:54 AM
Mike you sound like a coach at a criket game I had an old ant like that. Chill out

gene
04-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Hello All,
Who has and uses vectric software ? What is the learning curve and what limitations does it have?
I guess what i would like to know is what type products will it enhance and how much extra income will it help to generate? I want to hear the good , the bad, and the ugly about this product...

paco
04-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Learning curves?... humm, I'd say minutes! In other words, V Carving toolpathing (and more) cannot be made more simple (yet complete)!

How much can you make with it? You know that depends on you! 495.00$ is fast paid...

Ugly? It's named Wizard while it deserved better... It'll soon grow out of it...

Now, have you downloaded the trial and try it and got through the tutorials (PDF, videos, forum)? While at it, download Photo V Carve too...

Join the forum (VETRIC) if you have any more questions and concerns about'em.

ed_lang
04-01-2006, 10:36 PM
Gene,

I emailed Tony at Vetric many times last week asking questions and how to do this and that. Bottom line is, I bought it Thursday night, downloaded it Friday and was up and running FAST! I have been playing around with it but it is so easy. I use Corel X3 to design several signs and had them cut in just a short order. they even turned out better than I had expected!

I love mine! Part Wizard 2, Corel X3 and VCarve Wizard all working great for me.

danhamm
04-01-2006, 10:37 PM
I will second Paco's comments wholeheartedly,I
have been playing,using a shopbot and associated
software since about 1999..and have tried so many
pieces of software, and with that being said the
Vetric products Vcarve wizard and PhotoVcarve are
the easiest and error free...ist software I have ever used.."BUT" I understand that the fella's coding it have had a lot of experience coding for another unnamed software Co. cheers Dan

gerald_d
04-02-2006, 12:53 AM
Why unnamed? They are from the Delcam (ArtCam) house.

danhamm
04-02-2006, 03:11 AM
I had seen that suggested, but I havent seen any acknowlegment or denial as yet....cheers Dan

gerald_d
04-02-2006, 06:25 AM
I am sure that they had a "restraint" clause in their former employment contract that precludes them from using (or abusing) the employers name in any way. So, don't expect them to say, confirm or deny anything. I've also said my last on this.

mikejohn
04-02-2006, 08:09 AM
"Now let me see, PW2 a slow, complicated, tedious, unsatisfying, pain in the butt program. V-carve wizard, simple, easy to use, fantastic program"
Are you sure there's a connection?

......................Mike

Brady Watson
04-02-2006, 10:06 AM
Mike,
Both PW2 & VCarve Wizard are excellent programs for their price tags. For general machining and a quick easy learning curve, use PW. For someone who wants to do v-carving and make signs with a low learning curve, then I would highly recommend VCW. 2 different animals...both great programs...neither of them tedious or hard to learn.

-B

burchbot
04-02-2006, 12:58 PM
From the Vectric forum
Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:45 am

Hi,
There is no commercial relationship between Delcam and Vectric. I previously worked at Delcam where I was the original developer of ArtCAM, and managed ArtCAM development until relatively recently. I suppose it is inevitable that there are some superficial similarities between the two programs, in the same way two books by the same author are easily identifiable. However, a closer examination of the two products would reveal way more differences than similarities. In particular, ArtCAM’s user interface is entirely HTML based whereas ours does not use HTML at all. The core underlying machining algorithms and drawing engine are also completely different.

With regard to functionality, the two products also address very different requirements. ArtCAM offers a complete range of tools for 2d to full 3d relief modelling and machining. If someone has a requirement for 3d relief modelling, I believe there is no better product available than ArtCAM Pro. Although both ArtCAM and VCarve Wizard offer V Carving capabilities, this is a relatively small part of the overall capabilities of ArtCAM Pro, whereas it is just about all of ours . However our pricing reflects this, and for many users who just want to add decorative v-carving to their products and often already have other software to do their general 2d machining, I believe that VCarve Wizard is the ideal solution.

EDIT: VCarve Wizard V2 also offers 2D pocketing, profiling and machinine along a vector capabilities as well as flat bottom engraving and support for multiple tools, so the statement above "whereas it is just about all of ours " is no longer true!

Regards

Brian

ed_lang
04-02-2006, 03:15 PM
Mike,
I got my shopbot in October 2005. I have had NO CAD/CAM experience. In fact, I never even watched anyone run CAD/CAM. My son said he could do all the CAD work without any trouble. I bought the system knowing that I could get the business. Long story short, my son does not work with me now so I am on my own! You bet I was wondering how I was going to learn all of this and fast. Part Wizard might not be "mastered" but I have a good grip on it. Corel X3 is not "mastered" but I can get my drawings done and getting quicker too. Now we come to V Carve Wizard.... It took me longer to download it than to get it running. I am glad I got the V Carve and Photo Carve packages.

My $7K will be better spent on a wide belt sander than on a high end software package at this time.

gene
04-02-2006, 06:47 PM
Thanks for all the input on this question ..
Do you have to do the design work with another software package or can you design the signs in v carve wizzard ? Gene

paco
04-02-2006, 07:21 PM
Gene,

right now, VCW has the basics tool for vector editing... soon in the next release, there will be much more I believe. Keep watching... until, get the trial and enjoy testing on the trial files.

engineerperson
01-03-2007, 09:27 AM
I think the CarveWright is a nice little device, dose anyone know where i can get one or when they will be available again?

gwilson
01-03-2007, 09:37 AM
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&cat=Be nch+Power+Tools&subcat=Jointers%2C+Planers+%26+Sha pers&pid=00921754000 (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&cat=Be nch+Power+Tools&subcat=Jointers%2C+Planers+%26+Sha pers&pid=00921754000)

rcnewcomb
01-04-2007, 07:58 AM
I saw one in stock at my local Sears store yesterday.

routerclouter
01-15-2007, 11:13 PM
A ‘fabber’ or ‘freeform fabricator’ is now available for those with good minds and good hands and shallow pockets. Interesting. It’s no-where near ShopBot level, but it and the Carvewright are starting to deliver some awesome power to ordinary people.

The first url is a news article. The second is the website of the device. Below that is the opening text of the news article.

ShopBot was the first, the best and has improved enormously with time. Hats off to all involved. But technology historically the monopoly of big companies and nation states, is starting to rear its interesting head in the home. Like the device you’re reading this on.

Regards, John

http://www.newscientisttech.com/article/dn10922-desktop-fabricator-may-kickstart-home-revolution.html

http://www.fabathome.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

A cheap self-assembly device capable of fabricating 3D objects has been developed by US researchers. They hope the machine could kick start a revolution in home fabrication – or "rapid prototyping" – just as early computer kits sparked an explosion in home computing.
Rapid prototyping machines are already used by designers, engineers and scientists to create one-off mechanical parts and models. These create objects by depositing layer upon layer of liquid or powdered material.
These machines typically cost from $20,000 to $1.5 million, says Hod Lipson from Cornell University, US, who launched the Fab@Home (mailto:Fab@Home) project with PhD student Evan Malone in October 2006.
The standard version of their Freeform fabricator – or "fabber" – is about the size of a microwave oven and can be assembled for around $2400 (£1200). It can generate 3D objects from plastic and various other materials. Full documentation on how to build and operate the machine, along with all the software required, are available on the Fab@Home (mailto:Fab@Home) website, and all designs, documents and software have been released for free.

bleeth
01-16-2007, 05:11 PM
John: Outrageous-Those of us who have been to Artcam users meetings have had the opportunity to see commercial processes as relating to jewelry models. The idea of tinkering one of your own together looks like great fun.

rhfurniture
01-16-2007, 05:56 PM
So, how long till we can put all our garbage into a hopper, type "feed me" into Bill's latest dialog box, and get something good to eat?
Seriously, would it not be possible to addapt a shopbot to do this building with carefully placed layers of grey goo stuff?

davidallen
01-16-2007, 07:40 PM
rh,

You've got all you need to start fabing at home.

You just need to connect a screw drive to a tube of caulk, mount it on the z-axis and drive it with the accessory channel.

Several years ago, someone tried something similar with hot glue. You may be able to pick it up by searching the forum.

da

Brady Watson
01-16-2007, 08:08 PM
A bunch of us talked about adapting this technology to a ShopBot about 3 or 4 yrs ago. We all pretty much came to the conclusion that, while it was 'neat' it really wasn't practical. What are you going to do with the resulting model? It probably isn't going to be on par with a $5k-10k used SLA machine *check Ebay) and even if it was, you're still stuck with a 'hot-glue' model...*maybe* you can use it as a mold master, that's about it.

Any machinist (and many of them ShopBot owners) will tell you that there is no shortcut to producing fine parts on your CNC machine. This goes for the CarveWright owners as well. I think the immediate fear is that all of a sudden Joe Shmoe down the street is going to be out bidding the ShopBotter around the corner and there goes all of his investment...Not a chance! Unlike the CarveWright, the ShopBot is a real CNC machine (nothing against CW machines or their respective owners...it's just in a whole different class)...the SB is capable of doing anything that a CW machine can do, only better.

I think that we are still a long way off from pressing a button and something just materializes...but then again, think back when the whole concept of e-mail was just a Dick Tracey dream...While it isn't instantaneous, if you tell a CNC the right things, miraculous stuff does come off the machine when the cycle is done!...AND with e-mail, you can send someone across the globe an SBP, and they can produce the same thing you can on their machine...Pretty amazing when you think about it. I think we sometimes take things for granted...I know I do.

The Fab(at)home & RepRap project sites are neat (on par with the David scanner). They demonstrate the technology, but not to the level that you can make any money with it. (which is a bummer)

There is no replacement for your hard earned CNC education. I don't care how good technology or '1-button' systems claim to be...YOU and you alone make the ShopBot produce the goodies coming off the machine. When they come up with brain scanners that extract conceptual models in digital format for less than $5000, then I will worry.

Just my .02

-B

stockbub
01-16-2007, 08:58 PM
My new bot will be here in 2 weeks. I will be cutting 3/4" plywood, and doing carving on solid oak. Any suggestions on what bits I need to buy. Where do you buy your bits? What about carving bits?

butch
01-17-2007, 09:49 AM
The original question was
"How can we get the ShopBot do what the CarewWright can do?" I have the same question. All I have seen in here is how much better the ShopBot is, but nothing on how to make it do what Sear did. Anyone know how to do that?

3d_danny
01-17-2007, 09:57 AM
Use Cut3d from Vectric

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/cut3d/c3d_index.htm

Brady Watson
01-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Butch,
There are a number of ways to do this. The easiest (and by far the cheapest) way to do this is to open up SB3, type in FC and select BMP, JPG from the dropdown. Then choose an image file, and go thru the wizard to create your SBP. Like the CW, this uses bit depth to 'emulate' 3D depth. You will have to play with depth values to get something that looks half-way decent. If you think the stuff coming off of the CW machine is 'good', then you will be fairly happy using the FC command. When you want a real 3D RLF, go to James Booth's site and buy 3D clipart, which is by far, superior to anything the CW will cut from just a photo.

Long before Mach2, the CW machine and other CNC software packages, ShopBot had this ability to convert a BMP to SBP.

-B

gwilson
01-17-2007, 10:25 AM
In my opinion it comes down to ability to learn software, and imagination. For easy, quick to learn software I like Vcarve Pro, I have had good luck using Part Wizard. Agian your ability to learn and understand software. The rest is your imagination and ideas. I look at one thing and think I can cut it this way and someone else sees it differently. Somethings take a little bit more to think out how to cut it. And to me it is impotant to alway look at it different way to get the results you want. If lost ask for other idea on how to cut something, would not be the first time I have seen it asked in these forms.

butch
01-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Brady,
Thanks - I was not aware of that function. I played with it last night and am going to take some simple photos for testing. It appears it may work.
I may run it through Photoshop and clean it up - anyone try this?

joe
01-19-2007, 10:02 AM
Brady and others,

I remember when the first vinyl plotter came on the market. It was made by Gerber and most sign painter said it was a joke and wouldn't be around long. Well it's been the best thing that could have happened for signage. Not only did it raise prices, it added stability to the trade. I'm hearing some of the same nervious sounds with the new router tech.

Most important though, it may adjust the retail prices in the same way that vinyl plotters did. Signs Now, Fast Signs, etc have a good pricing schedule. If they incorporate this new technology I wouldn't be surprized if it didn't help us all. Although some SBers are commercial, it appears most are part timers and don't have a good grasp of pricing. This may give all of us a better understanding of retail pricing. And I predict it will create more business for all.

I for one, have vinyl plotters but haven't made a sign in years without the router. Also I haven't done a banner, truck lettering, realty sign, or signs without my CNC. There's a huge market for dimensional signs. Huge. If quick sign company's offer nothing but 1/2" PVC letters, or small name panels, address sign, etc. they should do very well. All of us should do very well.

There may be more and more of these little CNC coming to market. I may buy one myself.

J
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

Brady Watson
01-19-2007, 02:55 PM
Joe,
You are right...there's enough work for everyone to play. At the moment, the CW cannot run GCode, and only does bit-depth 3D files...which for those who do real 3D, it doesn't 'get 'r done'...The spindle is a glorified dremel, which leaves a lot to be desired, even on 2D cutouts & letters. So for the time being...SB owners need not fret at the prospective 'impending doom'...

-B

normand
01-19-2007, 03:28 PM
How can I do what the CarveWright does on my bot? First what does it do ?One rough pass and then raster everything ? You can do it easily with millwizard low end or art cam high end with the same end result. It take for ever + lot of sanding. No need of expensive software if you gona raster everything.
Carving machine have been around for more than 100 years. And they worked lot faster than cnc rastering. But they needed an operator. Then again they did 10 or more pieces at once. If you want to go faster you need to take the cutter geometry in consideration when programing toolpath.A bit like handcarving would be done.
Some people make fun of newcomer with their crude and funky machine , some with 100 thousand$ big iron machine laugh at us sbotter, and some with 11 axes robot arm laugh at them. Dont forget where we come from.

digitalwoodshop
02-08-2007, 12:11 AM
I have had my CompuCarve unit about a week now. I had planned to get a Shop Bot within a year to do small signs. I would add that to my Laser Engraving and Sublimation Business. When I saw the TV ad over Christmas I was hooked. I have been lurking here for months, especially like the Troubleshooting section being a former Sony Tech in Factory Automation. This tool with it's bit map way of doing things really fits in to my way of thinking in Corel Draw. That was a question I had too. Was their a way to make a Shop Bot react to a Bit Map too like a CW.... This machine will have it's limits, like the 1 inch Z, and at this time no way to control the feed rate. That would seam a easy fix with a digital software slider for increasing or decreasing from the standard feed rate. As far as all the plastic, well yes, I see plastic, and belt drives, all prone to problems. I believe it will work as designed. This introduction of the Carve Machine and the interest could prove to be a benefit to the Shop Bot community. One influencing another for the better. Just the other day in the CW forum I mentioned that the biggest pat on the back I saw to the Shop Bot team was the support to the second, third, and fourth owners of a machine. Knowing that you would have support increases the resale value of the units without a major hit to the Shop Bot Team. Sure parts cost more today than before but if your down, your not making money. It looks like Carve Wright will support the orphan machines turned in by frustrated owners and re purchased. Bottom line is this unit meets my current needs, I don't see myself needing to cutting plywood in the near future.

AL digitalwoodshop

Pocono Digital Woodshop
Shohola, PA