PDA

View Full Version : Less Expensive Single O Flute Bits...

john_l
05-10-2009, 08:46 AM
I have found that I get the best cuts with these Single 0 Flute bits in almost all of my profile cuts in many types of materials. I have profile cut aluminum, acrylic, pvc, various solid woods, various plywoods, composits, and various laminated combinations of the products.

I have found Onsrud to hold up the longest of the ones I have tried, but you pay for that obviously. I would really like to find a less expensive alternative.

I had a fella tell me once that he found double ended Single O Flutes at a machine tool supplier (in Ohio, I think but not sure) in 1/4" size for about $7 each. He didnt have their number but he just bought dozens of the bits and has been using them ever since.

No question here that you get what you pay for. Onsrud makes very fine tools. I just wanted to revisit this and see if anyone had a source suggestion.

Thanks

Gary Campbell
05-10-2009, 09:25 AM
John...
I have been using the single "O" from Centurion Tools for a while now. They seem to cut as well as the Onsrud and Belin that I previously used and the price is better.

Other than the composites you mention above, I have cut all the materials you mention with great results. One note...careful when handling them, they are nasty sharp!

(usual disclaimer about working for or affiliations with www.centuriontools.com (http://www.centuriontools.com) )
Gary

knight_toolworks
05-10-2009, 01:36 PM
you can't use double ended bits or endmills with a notch. you will not get a good tight clamp and it could damage the collet.

tgm
05-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Where on the Centurion site are these single O flute bits?? I have just been the whole site selection and can't find them.
I would like to give them a try.

Tom in PA

Gary Campbell
05-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Tom...
I did not get mine online. Either email Fred or give them a call, number is on the website.
Gary

joe
05-10-2009, 10:13 PM
T.G.

Me too! They don't make it easy with this website. I called them last week after trying to place my order on-line. I couldn't get my order to go through no matter how many times I tried.

It's gotta be hard to sell bits which aren't even listed.

Perhaps they will hire a professiona web designer to get them up to speed with this or maybe they don't offer the O flute. I think they do have a good product though.

Gary Campbell
05-10-2009, 11:00 PM
Tom...
Joe is right. I was after Fred for a year to make those bits...It was worth the wait, looks like you better call.
Gary

john_l
05-11-2009, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the tip, I will surely call and check the cost. Good to hear that they are high quality before testing the waters with my money.

centurion
05-11-2009, 09:36 AM
The cutters are not on the site yet, as we have been waiting to get results on what we have made so far. Once we know what we have is working, the cutters will be added to the site. You will probably see them in the next few weeks. As for the problem Joe was having on the site, there was a problem with the UPS site, due to this we are only shipping USPS at this time to eliminate the problem. I will do a post when the cutters are ready for market.

Fred

paul60
05-11-2009, 10:05 AM
john
i have been using Whiteside single flute bits for some time very happy with the cut i get.
and at a good price it one i use is # 1049
i inch cutting length 2-5/8 overall length
http://www.routerbits.com/cgi-routerbits/sr.cgi?1242050279_16634+12 (http://www.routerbits.com/cgi-routerbits/sr.cgi?1242050279_16634+12)
cost $ 11.96
paul