PDA

View Full Version : How much CAD training will I need to get started

Dan Burch
01-11-2003, 12:26 PM
Hi I very much want to become a ShopBotter but I don't know a thing about CAD. I do know how to use a computer and have ran CNC machining centers for 12 yrs. I have a fair understanding of the programs they run. How much CAD training will I need? I'm willing to go to school. What do you think of online CAD training?
Thank you for your help
Dan

bill.young
01-11-2003, 02:46 PM
Hi Dan,

The amount of CAD skills that you need really depends on what you want to make. I use CAD all the time...some ShopBotters don't use it at all.

Even if you don't need it, though, learning some CAD couldn't hurt and might open up some new types of projects to you. Look at your local Community College and see if it offers CAD classes. The Community College closest to me is a certified Autodesk training center and offers all kinds of classes for very little money.

Good luck,
Bill

robert
01-11-2003, 06:33 PM
Dan you want on line training check out

http://www.rngengravers.com

They do a nice job showing you.

Robert M

rgbrown@itexas.net
01-11-2003, 10:53 PM
Dan,

If you have a friend who knows CAD, talk to him/her. Each CAD program approaches commands a little different. I usually tell someone to get a program that will do the work they desire and stick with that one program. If you want to do 3D work, make sure the program will do the work - and the style of work you need to do. Certain programs are better suited for some things than others.

The CAM end of the 'file translation' is another end of the project that can be expensive. ShopBot comes with a program said to cut 2D files rather quickly but lacks the complex toolpath programming many 3D files require. And by using a combination of CAD and some intelligence, many 3D files can be cut with fairly simple software. The time and involvement necessary to define toolpaths with crude tools will show one the value of good 'automatic toolpath' software.

Many of the users on the forum use one program or another. E-mails with "where do I find the command to......" are not that uncommon in my inbox. The letters back are normally short, with a list of commands some advice "the program doesn't allow you to...."

Bill's suggestion of a class is great. In addition, being a student allows one to purchase some software at 'student discount'. I know I'm going to enroll in a class for that one feature alone this year as a program I want has a 75% student discount and still carries a 'commercial' license - something to watch for as using unlicensed program -even an "old one" can be much more expensive than purchasing the legal program if one is caught.

Ron Brown

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it." - Mark Twain

windsor@muskoka.com
01-12-2003, 01:36 PM
I'm mostly self taught in autocad , turbocad and Rhino . A few years ago I took a night school course in Autocad 12 , for the same reason as Ron .--To buy the software at a student price . ---The course was quite pricy , but I remember in Autocad 12 the esc key doesn't cancel a command , you had to use ctrl c to cancel a command . ---The price of the course was worth it just to find that out . ---I've since quit using autocad and use rhino and turbocad . I find the rhino newsgroup and the turbocad forum great learning resources .