PDA

View Full Version : An interesting mistake

jhicks
10-26-2007, 09:45 AM
We are making a sign with beveled letters in HDU so the plan was to bevel the edges with a 120 degree V down 3/4" then cut them out with a 1/4" spiral end mill.
The V beveling was set at 1/4" per pass in depth so to create the full bevel it took 3 passes with each pass moving down and out progressively the 1/4".
As I changed the bit to cut it out, I mistakenly ran the v bevel tool path and walked away for a minute. When i got to notice it, there was this step ledge or what we now call "pinstripe" created from the end mill centering on the v cut path and creating these interesting 1/8" ledges.
We fixed the rest and recut to get the planned letters which I will post when done.
But for this one we decided we liked the results and painted it in a gold pearlecsent paint just to see how it would turn out and to use for samples and examples of letter options.
2 coats primer, 3 paint on 1,1/2" sign foam.
I like it much better then the design we sold so maybe someone else will like it on another design.
Thought the mistake led to an interesting technique and result. Hope you like it.
Every day is a new adventure :-)

myxpykalix
10-26-2007, 01:42 PM
Now did you save the combination of cut files and write down the bits used to recreate this? Cuz i guarantee you'll foget if you don't!

I have done this myself (not exactly this) where i mistakenly cut something but liked the result better and had to make a copy of all the toolpaths in a seperate folder with a picture and a txt file explaining it or i would forget it for sure! looks great.

jhicks
10-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Thanks jack, You are so right but the good news its the same file as the v so all I really did was change the bit to the 1/4 end mill and re run the same v bevel file.
now that it's written down here, I'll know where to look for it.
Have a great day.