PDA

View Full Version : Air Deflector for Porter Cable Router

mikek
04-30-2007, 09:07 AM
I just wanted to amplify the availability of this device for you Porter Cable users. The only place I have seen mention of this device is in the ShopBot Price List. Part Number 12013, Air Deflector Assembly for the Porter Cable Router, $26.00.

As most of you PC users know, there is a lot of air coming out of the lower part of the PC housing which works against the efforts of any dust collection device trying suck away the dust and chips you are cutting. This device, plastic with a metal band clamp, fits on the bottom of the router and directs the airflow up and out the sides actually helping the dust collection system. You have to remove the three screws and plate on the bottom of the router, put the housing on the router and replace the plate and screws to hold this on the bottom. Then a clamp is tightened on the body of the router so it won't vibrate and fracture the plastic I guess. I had to remove my router to figure this out, but it can only be installed with the router mounted in the ShopBot housing. There were no instructions with the part, but it works great!

I just thought many more of you may not have seen this accessory. The only place I have seen it was in the price list which most don't look at I suspect. This should be posted in ShopBot Accessories, but more people will see it here I think. I will post a picture when I remember to take my camera to the shop.

richard
04-30-2007, 09:18 AM
can u show me a pidture of this set up

jeff_guinn
04-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Mike,
I don't think you have to remove the bottom bearing retainer to mount this device. I've been using 1 on each of my tandem routers since they were originally introduced & only secure them with the band clamp. They do work well.

dray
04-30-2007, 12:53 PM
picture?

wiese
04-30-2007, 01:04 PM
This thread has pictures of the deflector that I believe you are looking for.
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/27/1634.html#POST12921

dray
04-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Thx Jay

stevem
04-30-2007, 02:50 PM
The hole in the bottom of the deflector is designed to fit snuggly around the bearing retainer on the PC router in order to prevent the deflector from falling while you tighten the clamp. The hole is slightly undersize for this purpose and must be forced onto the bearing retainer. Do not remove the retainer for installing the deflector.

The deflector is made from Kydex 100 and is very tough. There is not much chance of cracking it.

paco
04-30-2007, 02:55 PM
Hey Steve!

How "thick" is the deflector under the router body?

Is the chuck nut easy to reach for?

On more (off topic; sorry guys); do you have Trupan around in Ontario?

stevem
04-30-2007, 03:00 PM
Paco, the nut is easy to reach. The deflector does not interfere with bit removal.

I've never used Trupan, so don't know.

beacon14
04-30-2007, 03:39 PM
I've been using one for a couple of years now and also recommend it highly. It does take some getting used to fitting the wrench just under the deflector to catch the shaft nut but it's not really any harder than having to get the wrench up under there without the deflector. You can use the deflector to help position the wrench once you get the hang of it.

mikek
05-01-2007, 08:31 AM
Thanks Steve M. and Jeff. Since there wasn't any instructions that came with it, I assumed wrongly that it needed to be held on with the bearing retainer clip. It didn't want to stay in place real easy without doing that. I will reinstall. Thanks Jay for the old post with lots of pictures.

Steve M., did you produce the "dust chute" in the old post? Does ShopBot offer that somewhere too?

donchapman
05-01-2007, 11:08 AM
I agree that the deflector works well and I use mine often but have a couple of caveats: (1) At least on my old PR96, if I z-up more than a few inches the deflector will be knocked off the router by hitting some fixed part of the z assembly,and (2) I now always remove the deflector to change bits since a bit came out of the collet once when I didn't get it tight enough using the wrenches in the somewhat awkward position with the deflector on.

rcnewcomb
05-01-2007, 12:32 PM
You can also make your own using a deli container (http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1513&postdays=0&postorder=asc&high light=blast&start=23)

dray
05-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Anyone having any troubles with the router getting too hot using the deflectors?

srwtlc
05-01-2007, 02:00 PM
Hey Randall, it's time for a new one!

jeff_guinn
05-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Danny,
I haven't measured the temperature difference,but I think it is actually cooler because it doesn't restrict the internal air flow from top to bottom & diverts the air up & around the router outter body.