PDA

View Full Version : This is Guatemala

carlosgmarroquin
07-21-2009, 01:42 AM
Hi guys. As always first of all, I'm thankful to all of you for your comments and information.

I just finished a map of Guatemala with the political divisions (like states, called departaments here).

I got the vectors from a friend, and did an inside offset of 0.02" in each piece.

It's made in 1/4 MDF and used a 1/8" compression bit.

Here I show 6 stacked maps.

dana_swift
07-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Well done Carlos! It shows how well the bot does on repeatability of its cuts.

Great map too! That would be a great educational tool in schools.. perhaps a market idea in that.

D

carlosgmarroquin
07-22-2009, 09:19 AM
Thank you Dana.

The idea was to show the accuracy of the cuts because is a topic often mentioned in the forum. I nested the 6 maps in a whole 4' x 8' sheet.

Yes. I plan to sell it to schools, with a layer of water based sealant. And the idea is that each kid use it as a canvas to paint whatever he or she wants.

dana_swift
07-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Carlos- The picture sure makes it look great!

If you hadn't inset the curves, it would have been a very tight fit!

Thanks

D

carlosgmarroquin
07-22-2009, 05:01 PM
Because the vectors were for displaying not cutting, I had to eliminate all the parts where the tool (1/8") could not go in. By generating a first toolpath I could know where it would not go in.

little by little I have been realizing what can be done between the software, the machine and my imagination. And there is where this forum is great.

thanks again.